Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8930, sound issues , EDITED, Finally fixed for 5.1 surround

Just got my 8930 set up to replace my old 8300 . Do to the advertisement I thought the Waves max pro would be just as well as the old THX tru studio not at all it was very disappointing .Best I can manage so far is a weak surround sound with a strong stereo sound over powering thru 2 speakers. The Realtec seems to be not as good as the older model  but seemed to work very well with the THX  in the older unit. I`m considering uninstall on wave max and install THX and maybe see about the older version of Realtec I had since it was very champ for surround sound. Any one have any input on this problem since I hear a few people or more have the same issue with no results yet. I`ve tried all the disable and so forth to no avail.      AFTER  a lot of trial and error working with the forum I have my issue mostly resolved . The speakers out put properly now in 5.1 surround and waves maxx now allows 5.1. Only potential future issue is that the speaker test fails on the speakers but playback is as it should be. The FIX was to install an older version of Realtek >>> version,, 6.0.1.8205.A00 >> release date 1 nov 2017 , taking not this PC was built by Dell in Nov. 2019. So hopefully this will help someone else in the future , It was a bit of a long road for me . Thanks to all that helped.

21 Posts

December 13th, 2019 20:00

Got a reply from Dell-Cares today. Said to try these steps =

* Go to Device Manager
* Expand Sound, Video and Game controllers
* Right click Realtek Audio
* Click Update Driver
* Click Browse my computer for driver software
* Click let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
* Select High Definition Audio Device
* Click Next to complete

It gave me a small improvement in the problem speakers and a marked improvement in the Sub woofer  and It finally gave options for Waves Maxx for surround and quad that I didn't have before. So not a complete fix but headed in the right direction.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2019 03:00

I don't recall seeing any posts about this problem here or on other computer forums.

I see some issues with MaxxAudio but not these specific issues.

The older Realtek may not work with the newer Realtek hardware. Same with the THX.  

I have a Dell (gaming) laptop with the latest Realtek hardware and MaxxAudio and no problems.  I have a home built desktop with latest Realtek and no problems.  In fact Realtek works so well and great fidelity and this is coming from someone that has a recording studio. I use my desktop to check my recording studio mixes.

If you want to try the older drivers and THX, first do a complete drive (all partitions) disc image (backup) to a separate drive so you can recover back to the original disc image if it doesn't work out.  Use the free Macrium Reflect to do the disc image as the built in Windows does not image everything.

Finally, if you think you have a lemon you only have a very short time to contact Dell and request a return.

Link to Macrium Reflect Free

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

December 6th, 2019 04:00

depends on the person

even the best systems made some folks don't like, 

the only word in your post is the word weak.

so buy a more powerful amp, if weak.

but  I can't hear it. so.....

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

December 6th, 2019 15:00

Did you open the Waves MaxxAudio Pro control panel and make adjustments there?

maxwave.jpg

21 Posts

December 6th, 2019 17:00

I tried all of the options both maxx and realteck . best i`ve got with my lg surround speakers is 2 speakers working in stereo and one and the sub woofer working in a very low volume. They are plugged in as they were on my 8300 . Sadly the realtec adjustment panel on my old pc was far superior to the one on this 8930 and worked very well with thx . Right now I`d been pondering the ability to put the older realtec install in and uninstall maxx. But I need to research to see if it is plausible.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 7th, 2019 03:00

Whether the old driver will work is iffy due to newer Realtek hardware.

As I initially noted, make a complete disc image backup to a separate drive before you try so you can fully recover if it doesn't work and corrupts things.  

I have friends that rely on sound (Musicians and recording studios) and they have no problems with sound on this model.  If you don't like it, call Dell and request a return immedately (if you are still in the return window).  If you bought it somewhere other than Dell, check their return policy.

14 Posts

December 7th, 2019 06:00

Hey Fisherman3,I could not agree more.My old 630 with realtek is way better sound watching movies.If you disable maxx you may have issues with the front panel headphone and mic jacks. I did.I put maxx back on and I'm living with it for now.This may have more to do with win10 updates than Dell.

21 Posts

December 7th, 2019 09:00

Thanks I had a thought of doing just that as I have no need for mic or head phones but you must of had issue with the new realtec surround sound if you put waves back or is there a hard card in the system for waves maxx. I hav`nt been able to find that out , I had thx tru studio and realtec on my 8300 and they worked great. I was thinking of downloading thx in but better learn some more first.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 7th, 2019 10:00

Waves Maxx is just a software "audio enhancement" , not a hardware card.

I asked a recording studio friend in Nashville that has an XPS 8930 about the PC audio and he says "works fine".  I guess it just depends on the person.  I have a home recording studio and I can mix down a song and happy with the mix and someone else could mix down the same song different and that person likes the mix and I may not.

21 Posts

December 7th, 2019 16:00

Thanks ,well at least I know waves maxx is soft ware now Ive been trying to find out if either it or the realtec were software only or in part with some type of card.

21 Posts

December 20th, 2019 18:00

This is for those who haven`t had any luck yet. Originally I had sound only through two of my LG surround speakers with no Realtek sound manager and no recognizing of surround 5.1 by Waves MaxxAudio. I tried a partial uninstall and let Windows update reload the program as mentioned in the community. But all that did is turn my Realtek HDA to Realtek speakers. So I uninstall in Device Manager as stated by Dell [ don't over write the install] and installed what Dell said was for my service tag  [I`m a non techy ] which was version 6.0.1.8248, A07. All said and done I notice that it didn't install the same version at both ends on Device Manager, But now I do have sound from all speakers and woofer [not as good as same speakers on other XPS] but it will get me by for the evening. It didn't install a Sound Manager for Realtek either but Waves MaxxAudio now says I have 5.1 surround. So not a full cure its better than it was. I was looking at Realtek version RG.82 so If any one has some input I would be happy to hear it. Bye the way my PC is 3 weeks old.

21 Posts

December 20th, 2019 22:00

Can we get by using an full size audio card since Realtek and Waves MaxxAudio are only worthy of being put in a used Volkswagen with 200.000 miles on it?

14 Posts

December 21st, 2019 08:00

OK,but not an old beetle. I like them. I got mine working better. What kinda speaker connection have you got (1 or 3 wire)?

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

December 21st, 2019 10:00

no ideas what's up here, what fails, or sounds bad.

well all sounds system are bad to others ears (art)

buy a DAC then connect it to your powered speakers

endless choices,

I have USB DAC with and 2.1 sound out optical to speakers

or some want 7.1 sound only.? 5.1 ? or ?

what you need and what I could never guess.

but first know that only the dell Realtek drivers , dells work right, not from chip maker, ever.

can I assUme the sounds are used for play back only> or ? (one more endless path there of needs)

Moving all sounds gear outside any PC is win, (noise and endless flexibilities)

buy a DAC and avoid ground loops (ask) Xmos?

the DAC with optical out can not have ground loops or EFI or RFI on the optical cable (no noise)

many sound  cards in any PC are noise makers (picked up from other things),  PCs inside are anything but quiet noise wise. (clocking noise max and DC supply noise to, unless super good PSU bought and used is good choice.)

what matters to you are.?

power,?  must you have 120watts RMS power (peek is far more)

2ch. or 2.1ch? or more>?

must have surround sound? IDK  but changes every thing if yes.

how about this gem. Blaster, prices are good, but if tin ear any DAC is good, modern. even $25.

to me a  best DAC is lots of output choices Line out, S/PDIF coax, optical and 7.1 out. and RCA out.

if the speaker set lacks optical inputs  add it.\

buy from USA, so exchanges are 10x more easy and even possible.

I use XMOS DAC, love mine, but only need 2.1 sound. me.  I have 2 sounds systems one is z625 Logictech THX

and other DIY home brew,. huge speakers and huge 100watt RMS(true) Kenwood linear CLASS A amp,  blows windows out of room but dynamic range is incredible.

PC >>>DAC>> FIBER CABLE >>>> SPEAKERS (POWERED)

OR

PC >>>DAC, FIBER,  TO OPTICAL; CONVERTER :>>> AMP >>>AND SPEAKERS WIRED.

AND MORE, LOTS MORE WAYS TO DO THIS;.

If you need is strong software support then buy any Sound blaster package,  it will work.

21 Posts

December 21st, 2019 19:00

I have been pondering taking this new out of the box XPS to a PC shop and have them put a PCIe x1 sound card in it. Mainly due to the headache I have been having getting some reasonable 5.1 surround playback on it. It was only doing out of two speakers when I got it and wasn't adjustable for nothing even with Realtek HDA and Waves MaxxAudio which it later downgraded itself to Realtek speakers. But I finally got it to play out of all speakers but still isn't right. I use to have same speakers on an XPS with THX TruStudio and Realtek HDA and it had real nice surround sound.

No Events found!