Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2019 09:00

XPS 8930, hibernate longer than cold boot

When I first got my 8930 late last year, I was glad to see that when I hibernated and later turned it back on, the Desktop and all open apps would be restored in about 35 seconds. However, in the course of a few months (and various Windows 10 updates) it would not hibernate properly. What would happen is that I would hibernate the PC but when I turned it back on, it would take up to 3 minutes before it's loaded and it hasn't restored the apps that were open at the time of hibernation. In fact, if I shut down the computer then later restart, it actually starts up faster (about 2 minutes or so) than when I hibernate it. I've checked all the power settings and such but nothing has helped, including Dell support trying various things.

My system has 16Gb of Optane Memory and I was wondering if perhaps when I hibernate that the hibernation file is being written to the Optane Memory instead of the hard drive and if so, when it's turned off, wouldn't the Optane Memory lose whatever is in it, or is it static memory rather than dynamic memory which requires power to maintain it's contents?

Anyway, it's kind of frustrating because the reason I got this new computer was for speed in booting considering it's a 6-core i7 CPU capable of 4Ghz clockspeed; yet I recently added a SSD to my old 1st gen quad-core 3Ghz i7 PC and found it boots up in 30 seconds from hibernation (it used to take about 3 minutes with a conventional hard drive even from hibernation). Had I known what a difference SSD would make, I wouldn't have bought this XPS.

I keep hoping that some later update from Windows will revert it back to what it used to do because there were times after an update that hibernation worked properly, then the next update would come and it messed it up again. The last 2 Windows updates didn't "fix" it, but I keep hoping... and yes, hibernation is enabled because it appears as a choice in the power menu with restart, sleep, shutdown, hibernate.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 21st, 2020 03:00

@Garfy2020  wrote "My system has 16Gb of Optane Memory and I was wondering if perhaps when I hibernate that the hibernation file is being written to the Optane Memory instead of the hard drive and if so, when it's turned off, wouldn't the Optane Memory lose whatever is in it, or is it static memory rather than dynamic memory which requires power to maintain it's contents?" Optane Memory is an SSD that acts as a cache for the HDD. Since it is an SSD, it does not require power to maintain its contents. When the computer hibernates the hibernation file is written to the HDD, I am not sure it is in the cache (Optane memory). In addition, I have read that the hibernation file can be anywhere from 40% to 95% of the amount of RAM so it is possible the file would not fit in the cache, although there are ways to reduce the size of the hibernation file. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 15th, 2019 10:00

What version of BIOS is running?

Do you really need to hibernate? Wouldn't sleep be sufficient?

Which power settings did you check and how are they set?

July 21st, 2020 01:00

I fitted a SATA 3 SSD 1tb drive last week, to replace the only drive, a toshiba 7200 rpm 1tb HDD. The difference is phenomenal, like I went out and bought a three grand computer. It boots in 40 seconds (up to four minutes previously, average just under 3 mins) it shuts down in 8 seconds (up to 3 minutes previously, just over 90 seconds average), and when I start photoshop CC6 it is ready to go in 6 seconds (40 seconds previously). I upgraded the RAM to 32 Gb (from and when I installed the SSD I followed the best advice and made it a boot disk. To do that, for those interested, follow this regime - first, download cloning software (I used Macrium Reflect, free download and use). Next, power down, and hold the on switch down for 30 seconds after disconnecting all cables. Open the case, fit the drive. (you may need a frame, used to call them cradles, to put an SSD into a 3.5" bay. Some cases have a 2" bay but most do not. You screw the SSD onto the frame, then fit the frame into a normal 3.5" bay before connecting it up). Once the drive is physically sound, use a SATA 3 cable to connect the small data strip to the motherboard. The SATA 3 cable may need to be right angled at one end, as the drive bays are close to the case edge and may prevent the case cover going on snugly. In summary, you need 1. The SSD Drive (as big as, or bigger than, the original HDD). 2. A 2" to 3.5" cradle and 3. a right angled end (one end) SATA 3 6 GB cable.

Once all is connected up and the computer is reinstalled with cables you can power up, and let it run normally onto the usual boot drive. (C: ?). Once it finishes booting, start Macrium Reflect and proceed with the cloning, there are lots of videos on youtube you can watch, it is easy.

Here's the important bit. When the cloning operation ends (took nearly an hour on mine) do not restart or reboot the computer!  Switch off, then open it up again, and disconnect the original hard drive. I am assuming the clone was reported successful in the previous step.

Now you can close up the case, connect it all up again, and start. This time, the bios will find the windows OS on the SSD and boot from there - and will do from now on. At this point you can (I did) leave the original drive disconnected. I use an external usb drive to back up to anyway, and the computer is very quiet with that drive unplugged - on top of the blistering performance.

I can't get it to boot any quicker than 35 - 40 seconds, main reason is that the bios itself is taking around 16 seconds to finish the bootstrap, before it starts to load the OS. That 16 seconds is hard wired into the motherboard. Nevertheless, with the SSD running the OS and all apps, the performance is staggering.

I will NEVER use a normal spinning drive again!

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 21st, 2020 06:00

@autofocusross You did not mention what model Dell computer you have, but with an XPS 8910 and a SATA SSD I am getting 9-10 seconds from power on to the Dell logo and 24-25 seconds from power on to the Windows 10 start screen. 

8 Posts

July 21st, 2020 06:00

What I finally did was disable my Optane Memory and my SSD performed great. Since my primary boot drive is an SSD now, it seemed redundant to have an SSD buffer. I suspect the problem I had could've been related to a previous Windows update so at some later date, I may re-enable my Optane Memory just to see if the boot speed (both cold and from hibernation) is any different. It could be faster or slower or no change; if it's faster I'll keep it enabled, if not, I'll just disable it again and perhaps set it up as a small SSD for data storage.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 21st, 2020 07:00

@Garfy2020 I missed in the original post where you indicated you added an SSD to the XPS 8930. When you added the SSD, installed Windows on it (either clone or fresh install), and made it your boot drive you should have first disabled caching (Optane Memory) using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) application. If you did a fresh install of Windows you should have disconnected the HDD and if you cloned the HDD you should have disconnected the HDD after cloning and before booting the system. Either way, you must now reinitialize the HDD to use as additional storage. If you reconnect the HDD, you can go into IRST and restart caching the HDD with Optane Memory. You don't need to use the Optane Memory for your SSD but it would benefit your HDD performance.

July 21st, 2020 07:00

Hi Vic, the computer is a Dell XPS 8930 running an i5 processor at 8400. The memory was originally 8 g,  I upped it to 16 g a year ago, and again to 32 g about four weeks back. The second Ram upgrade, frankly, did not make that much of a difference. That said, when I replaced the boot with my cloned SSD I found a huge difference as mentioned in my post earlier.

It is quite a modest system, nowhere near the top of the Dell range, but with the 1tb SSD it is transformed into something else. Note that I am not a gamer, I am a heavy graphics user, Photoshop and similar, plus a lot of the more conventional stuff like Word, Excel and Publisher.

I fitted a sandisk Ultra 3D NAND SSD and as stated, cloned it so the OS boots from there, my original hdd is now obsolete in the system and sits on my desk while I think what I could use it for.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 21st, 2020 11:00

@autofocusross  - Why don't you reinstall the old HDD, reinitialize it (everything gets deleted!) and use it as a data drive, keeping only Windows and your apps on the SSD?

That way you save SSD space and cut down on the number of writes to the SSD, which otherwise can shorten its lifespan.

And you can tell Windows to move its default folders for docs, photos, music etc to the HDD and configure all your apps to save their files on the HDD too.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2020 13:00

I fitted a SATA 3 SSD 1tb drive last week, to replace the only drive, a toshiba 7200 rpm 1tb HDD. The difference is phenomenal, like I went out and bought a three grand computer.

=======================

That's what we keep trying to tell users here. Especially for your main C-Drive.

Oplame's time is over. Even spinning drives inside desktops is questionable as 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSDs are so cheap now.

Now-days, I mostly only use spinning HDDs for media files, backups, Synology NAS , and stuff like that. 

July 21st, 2020 15:00

Vic384 hi, it is an XPS 8930 i5 8400 - a modest setup. I can't find anything in the BIOS to reset so I get a faster bootstrap load. I seem stuck with about 16 seconds or just under, before the OS is roused from the SSD. I get the Dell logo and two turns of the timer, before Welcome Ross appears on a blue screen, another two turns of the timer wheel, then the desktop arrives. Usuallly around 40 seconds in total. I am sure there is a way to speed up the cold bios boot process but, the bios seems semi automatic on this one - I couldn't even find a way to get the new SSD drive to boot first, so I had to unplug the original HDD so that the bios 'found' the SSD. Once it had found it once, it set it as the main boot drive. I know I can put my original HDD back in there, and reinitialise and format it, but I opted to remove it, and keep it as a recovery drive (it is a clone of how things are today). I always back up my work to external HDD so should anything happen to the SSD I can recover fairly easily by just popping the HDD back in and removing the SSD (hope that never happens but - you never know). If anyone knows how to get my configuration to boot faster (the preliminary bootstrap sequence) please come back to me.

July 21st, 2020 15:00

Ron, a few things. first, the old HDD is only a year old and is a clone of my new SSD now. I can use it to regain my system if the SSD fails suddenly. I back up all my data files etc on external USB drives so there is no problem. Second, the drive being out of the computer now, leaves me with a VERY quiet system. It is surprising how much noise even a HDD can make when added to the rest. Now, not even my cpu fan comes on and the only noise is a gentle whirr from the power supply cooling fan. Thirdly, the SSD cost so little (about 120 dollars in american, it was in the UK and 100 pounds) so that if I get any trouble, the drive can be cheaply replaced and cloned again - but I can still use my HDD and add back all my backups from my usb external drives. Fourth, although SSD's are not perfect, the SSD I have is a sandisk Ultra 3D NAND 1tb - the latest generation of Sata3 drives, and it has redundant cells ready to step in if the disk develops faults. The control panel software with the drive is very good at monitoring, and in time, if it begins to start using the spare cells, I will have time to swap it out. In any event, I know SSD is more durable than HDD, and I will never go HDD again! Finally, having apps and files on a drive this fast makes the whole experience something else. Never in 30 years of computing have I ever upgraded and found such a remarkable difference!. Fingers crossed this will last 5 or 6 years, which is great value. I could even find myself just replacing the SSD drive from now on (plus the odd power unit) to keep my desktop alive for a lot longer than they usually survive. I had a really great Hewlett Packard 17" laptop which lasted 18 months and the HDD just failed like a light bulb - so I don't trust HDD or SSD too much, the trick is to keep a backup system going - which has been at the heart of computing for a long time when you think of it.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 21st, 2020 16:00

@autofocusross When you cloned the HDD you should have disconnected it when cloning was complete before booting from the SSD. With a UEFI BIOS, leaving the HDD connected will cause the computer to continue to boot from the HDD useless you boot using the F12 Boot Menu to select a different boot device. This is why you had to disconnect the HDD. If for whatever reason, you decide later to reconnect the HDD you will need to use the F12 Boot Menu to boot from the SSD.

The only BIOS setting I see that may speed up the time to the Dell logo is the Advanced setting called 'Always Perform Integrity Check'. The default setting is Disabled, if it is Enabled it may take longer to boot. Also, under 'Boot Option Priorities' make sure 'Boot Option #1' is set to 'Windows Boot Manager'.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

@RoHe That is an interesting difference between your XPS 8930 and my XPS 8910. My 'Last BIOS time' was 9.5 sec. I am a couple of BIOS updates behind, I wonder if updates to the BIOS have slowed the boot time.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

@autofocusross  - FWIW, Task Manager on my XPS 8930 (i7-9700, 16 GB RAM, OEM (Micron) 512 GB SSD, 1T HDD), says my last BIOS time was 16.2 sec with Windows Fast Start enabled.

And for future reference, you could have used the F12 menu to get the PC to boot from the SSD while the HDD was still connected. And then re-initialized the HDD which removes all traces of the OS, and then reboot normally from the SSD.

EDIT: As usual, Vic384 typed faster than I did...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 21st, 2020 17:00

@Vic384  There's one way to find out...update to the latest version of BIOS.

The last few XPS 8910 BIOS updates are all firmware updates to fix Intel issues, so it wouldn't surprise me if they slow BIOS time down.

BIOS on my XPS 8930 is fully up-to-date with all the latest Intel firmware updates, running Win 10 v1909.

It also depends on the performance of your SSD vs mine. My OEM Micron 2200S, 512 GB SSD is slow compared to other SSDs, like the Samsung 970 Pro, 512 GB SSD. The Micron 2200S is at the bottom of the heap in the latest test results reported here.

No Events found!