XPS Desktops

Last reply by 06-24-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8930, upgrade to an SSD

HI, I have a Dell XPS 8930, and I want to upgrade to a SSD, but I am very much a novice, can people please recommend a 1TB SSD that I can install in my system with the least amount of headaches, Thanks, Ted

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

I believe the XPS 8930 has mounting holes in the hard-drive cages at the bottom of the case for 2.5" drives so a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter is not needed. The hard-drive cages in the XPS 8910 do not have mounting holes for 2.5" drives.

With regards to using an M.2 NVMe SSD, there is an M.2 slot on the motherboard, but it may be used for Optane memory if your system came with that memory. If the M.2 slot is empty, a PCIe adapter is not needed, just mount the NVMe drive in the slot on the motherboard.

View solution in original post

Replies (17)
3 Zinc

do I need an adapter to hold the drive ?

Would I be able to use this ? ---Crucial P2 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

Yes . . . for the M.2 NVMe SSD  you would need a M.2 NVMe PCIe adapter (as an example) and it would go in a lower PCIe slot something like this;

10.JPG

No . . . should mount into the rear cage in the bottom of your case. Use SATA power from the PSU.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have a 8910 (similar case to the 8930) and what I used was a WD 2.5 inch SATA ssd with a corsair adapter bracket - the sata cable should have 90 degree terminal on one end for clearance (ssd end) - I used the provided WD version of Acronis to clone my drive with no issues. would suggest getting the same size ssd as your old hhd to avoid any partition problems just use the automatic setting in the cloning software. You will be amazed at how much faster your PC will be !  

I believe the XPS 8930 has mounting holes in the hard-drive cages at the bottom of the case for 2.5" drives so a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter is not needed. The hard-drive cages in the XPS 8910 do not have mounting holes for 2.5" drives.

With regards to using an M.2 NVMe SSD, there is an M.2 slot on the motherboard, but it may be used for Optane memory if your system came with that memory. If the M.2 slot is empty, a PCIe adapter is not needed, just mount the NVMe drive in the slot on the motherboard.

I was assuming they had a small M.2 SSD boot drive and were wanting to upgrade storage. Do they even sell the XPS 8930 with HDD only?

Thank you all for the info, ProfessorW00d, nope, no current SSD drive in system, came with just HHD 5 years ago. I think I am going to try the M.2 option, wish me luck

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor