Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 29th, 2021 16:00

XPS 8940, ASUS TUF Ultrawide, no pre-Windows screens

I just bought an XPS 8940 a month ago and it is running an RTX 3060Ti.  When I use HDMI (gpu) to HDMI (monitor), no issues.  However when I use the Displayport (gpu) to the Displayport (monitor) I get the blinking light error code (on the desktop power button) of 3 amber and 2 white.  Which states that it is a graphics card issue.  Now running displayport to displayport seems to run everything fine, i get the correct resolutions and refresh rates.  However when i boot up the computer the Dell Logo (to get to the bios) does not appear and the monitor doesn't turn on until Windows is fully loaded up and at the login screen.

Using different displayport cables yields the same blinking error.  Using the onboard graphics DP works with the monitor (no error code). 

I talked to Dell support and they do not know what the issue is and are probably going to replace the graphics card and/or motherboard.

ASUS support says send in the monitor for repair.

I just received a replacement monitor off Amazon and its doing the same thing.

I dont know what the issue is, as I dont think the monitor nor the graphics card/motherboard are broken.

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 29th, 2021 20:00

I suspect it is a MB bios issue.  In another system the issue was resolved after motherboard bios update.  I suppose Dell may release future 8940 bios update for this bug of DP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/mnkqx6/no_bios_post_screen_when_using_display_port/

Re: Its very hard to find anything in relation to what my issue is online.

see above discussion

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 30th, 2021 16:00

@robbysee - Sounds like you haven't installed the "Urgent" NVidia vBIOS firmware update on your RTX 3060 TI card. The update applies to RTX3060, RTX3060Ti, RTX3070, RTX3080, RTX3080Ti, RTX3090, and was released on 13 Oct 2021.

The Dell support page says: "Fixed the issue where the Dell logo does not appear while booting on monitors that are connected through DisplayPort or HDMI."

Read/follow the instructions on the support page I linked...

12 Posts

December 29th, 2021 19:00

That sounds like I could do that.  Im just worried about the blinking error light.  If its an Nvidia issue that could possibly be resolved in the future and nothing to do with the Dell hardware, i'd be more comfortable with that.

I did order a the Dell Monitor 34"(144hz) and am considering returning the ASUS at this point.  Its very hard to find anything in relation to what my issue is online.  So I do appreciate all the info you've shared with me.  Thanks.

12 Posts

I have an old XPS 8700.  Do you mean taking the vid card out and putting it into that?  Would that graphics card be even compatible on that older motherboard?  I wouldn't want to "ruin" anything by attempting that, actually.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

just make sure I understand your issue.  you are able to get good video signal from RTX 3060ti on your monitor, except for the start up led error and no show of Dell logo, correct?  other users had reported no boot and no DP video signal at all with their 3060Ti.  If you are able to get good video, seems the error is just mysterious and annoying but no real downside to performance.  am I missing something?

Re: Using the onboard graphics DP works with the monitor

when you use onboard DP, is the 3060Ti also installed in 8940 at same time?

12 Posts

Yes that is exactly correct. The PC will boot but the monitor wont dispay/turn on until the login screen for windows (no Dell logo so I cant go to the BIOS if i needed to). Hdmi to hdmi works no problem.

With DP yes Im able to boot, get my desired refresh rate 165hz, etc..

If i just use hdmi i can only get up to 100hz. 

So it seems like such a waste if I cant utilize this monitor as intended at 165hz with the DP.

My suspicion is that Dell is going to replace the vid card and mb (est Jan and the same thing is going to happen.  The what are my options.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

Re: if I cant utilize this monitor as intended at 165hz with the DP.

I suppose you can use HDMI to access bios if needed (which you should not have to do on regular basis) and then use DP at 165 for your video applications.  the error is mysterious but you are otherwise doing all right.  you can run a user benchmark test to check the 3060 Ti and compare it to other users.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

is there a way you can test the DP signal of your RTX 3060Ti in another desktop pc?  what is your Dell psu power rating?

12 Posts

December 29th, 2021 20:00

I see. So there shouldn't be any harm just using the DP and ignoring the amber/white error code lights right? And if i need to access the Bios just go use the HDMI. Im ok with this until an update or fix will be coming. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 29th, 2021 22:00

Yes. The led error is probably due to a bios initialization error of 3060ti to handshake with monitor via DP.  Because of the error you have no Dell logo during POST.  

12 Posts

December 30th, 2021 09:00

So I connected this ASUS monitor via DP to the PC gpu DP.  And also connected another monitor via hdmi to hdmi.  Booted it up, so far no error lights.  I got the Dell logo to appear on the HDMI monitor and everything seems to be running good with no error lights.  Ill try a to reboot again and see if the error lights return.  So far just leaving it on and running to see if it does anything.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 30th, 2021 10:00

@robbysee wrote:

So I connected this ASUS monitor via DP to the PC gpu DP. 

And also connected another monitor via hdmi to hdmi. 

Booted it up, so far no error lights.  I got the Dell logo to appear on the HDMI monitor and everything seems to be running good with no error lights. 

Yes, this is what you do when you are using strange/extreme resolutions and display modes.

Monitor should Auto-Detect between proper ports during boot-up. 

12 Posts

December 30th, 2021 17:00

Wow.  This update wasnt showing up as a option in the dell app.  Anyway.  I updated it and just connected the DP to DP only (with no other connection) and it booted nicely with the Dell logo and currently there is no blinking error light.  Ill keep an eye on the next little while, but thank you so much for all the info your help.  Days and weeks of this, trying to work with support from dell and asus was a little tiresome.  Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 31st, 2021 10:00

@robbysee  - Glad that solved the problem!  It should also put an end to the blinking power button too.

No Events found!