Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

April 18th, 2022 12:00

XPS 8940, BIOS update version 2.5.1

I received an email notification today that new BIOS version 2.5.1 for XPS 8940 is available and to apply the update. The info page on the Dell website shows this was published on April 16 and is marked as Urgent. Under Fixes & Enhancements, the description is "Firmware updates to address security vulnerabilities."

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6f9nt&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-8940-desktop

While I like to ensure my PC runs the most recent software, I'd like to hear if anyone else has applied this update and what the experience was like. My hesitation is driven by the negative experiences I read in this forum from users who have had serious problems after applying BIOS updates on their 8940s. While I've had no such bad experiences with previous updates, I'm being cautious now. I'd be updating from BIOS version 2.4.0.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

116 Posts

April 20th, 2022 01:00

@ohwell1954 @ispalten @uwe-dembski thanks for your positive comments. So I just updated the BIOS to 2.5.1, no issues to report.

All is good.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 18th, 2022 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

April 18th, 2022 14:00

I have applied Bios 2.5.1 to my XPS 8940 and after a couple of days everything is functioning very well as far as I can tell.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 19th, 2022 08:00

I got the email as well...

No REAL info on what was included and it is not the first build, but 2.5.1 (note that BIOS 2.4.0 had the first build) so there was a prior build not released.

I'm one that has the Nvidia Freeze on my 8940.

I did install it this morning with no problem (on BIOS 2.3 I did have a ME warning when installing the BIOS over V 2.4, that there was an error, but Dell Support said it was OK) and so far, all seems to be well, but it has only been a few hours...

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 19th, 2022 09:00

I have installed it. No problems. In a few days maybe Microsoft will update it too, so you can see the right version in Device Manager (Firmware). This was allways tricky for me. 

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 19th, 2022 11:00

If one has turned OFF Capsule Update in the present BIOS, MS Update will not (supposedly) install it.

I don't think you can find the BIOS info in Device Manager, but you can in SYSTEM INFO and some other utility programs.

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.5.1, 3/29/2022 is showing in SYSTEM INFO for me.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 19th, 2022 21:00

uwedembski_0-1650428823233.png

I meant the above.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 20th, 2022 04:00

Ahh, you are showing the HIDDEN DEVICES, I was not.

Interesting, I see the same as you?

ispalten_0-1650453193720.png

Even though I am on BIOS 2.5.1???

Been a day, no freeze either?

Wonder if that was created when MS installed the BIOS update?

I did Google "windows hidden device manager firmware" and it seems it might not be the System Firmware BIOS but the UEFI BIOS? Not sure though?

April 25th, 2022 08:00

Unfortunately, I am still experiencing lock ups after the update to v2.5.1.  My PC has failed to wake from sleep 3x and frozen while actively in use 1x over the course of about 3 days.  I hope it helps others, but it hasn't made a difference for me.  

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

April 25th, 2022 09:00

@NeighborGeek,

Well, it has happened to me a few days ago.

In my case the Screen Saver was OFF and I could see the clock on the lower right Systray was off by about 1/2 hour I recall. Of course, no indications of the fail could be found in the Event Viewer or Reliability History as well and any 'dump reader' programs.

Only once though and I can't pin it down?

I do NOT think it is HEAT... I've been stressing my PC as hard as I can and I can't build up the heat at all? Keeping HWINFO64 and GeForces overlay on most of the time. Although I can get some high temps, it just doesn't fail. I've also been running the Flight Simulator 2020, and the Nvidia cards fans hardly increase, nor does the case fan. CPU temps are not much higher than at standby.

I do NOT think this is a h/w problem? Maybe Nvidia device driver or some h/w IRQ handling?

What ever it is, BIOS 2.3 works without a problem. V2.5.1 seems to work for some, and another like me had it happen (I am still on 2.5.1) and yet you have about the same as you did under 2.4?

The differences between all our PC's might provide a clue here?

RTX2060 6GB, 16GB's of RAM, i7-11700 CPU, and 512GB SSD NVMe WDC, and another 1TB hard drive as well and a 4TB USB External drive. My monitor is running @ 3840x2160 if that matters. Have Logitech Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Also a Webcam attached. Running Wireless for the Internet, but this is also a disabled Ethernet cable attached. Another USB device is the USP for monitoring and shutting down the PC in case of power loss and battery close to being depleted.

28 Posts

May 5th, 2022 18:00

@NeighborGeek I have same probem, hang right after PC come from screen off if leave PC idle period time. I tried set my OS power plan to High performance, it seems improved situation.

I didn't call Dell Support since they are useless.

Screenshot 2022-05-05 183838.png

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 6th, 2022 10:00

There really isn't a major difference I recall? Mostly in the max. power some devices will use. If you are on a Desktop, you'd probably want the high-performance one. There is a slight increase in heat though with the High Performance power choice.

I've always set it to High... and BIOS V2.3 never gave me a problem. V2.4, almost every day and there was no set mode of causing the freeze. Everything from coming out of sleep on the monitor to just letting the PC sit. With V2.5.1 it still happens, but maybe once a week.

Since there are 3 different scenario's of this, from no freeze to freezes, with no change made in the Power plan used, I'd rule out the plans... although, possible it could be related to less power, but I doubt it. My bet, it is a program trying to write something and that causes it. The Address is either into the restricted area, possible set by BIOS, or over an address used by an IRQ... also loaded by BIOS.

Quite possible the BIOS is setting boundaries differently in each version?

I'd also say Nvidia Driver's which it seem those of us with the Freezing have is probably somehow involved... but a variety of drivers are in use and there doesn't seem to be any of them (Game Ready or Studio version) that does not have the problem.

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 6th, 2022 14:00

Well, it only took 4 days to have it happen on 2.5.1, sigh....

I was away from the PC for over an hour. Came back, Screen Saver was on. Wiggled the mouse and it opened up to the desktop. Now I tried to move the mouse and it was rather jumpy. Within a few seconds, lock-up.

Slightly different than other times... and I thought MAYBE something would be in the Event Viewer when I rebooted...

Again, when I used the Power button to power off, no problem. However, after a few seconds I pressed it again to restart the PC. Like once before, it went off (the power button) in a few seconds. But this time I was watching closely. The display did have the Dell Logo and spinning dots start, but then the CD drive blinked a few times and the PC powered off.

I then pressed the Power button again and watched the CD, it DID NOT turn on!

Is this an indication that the CD drive didn't pass the boot sequence? I don't even use it, but I must have at one time?

I loaded a DVD and it had NO problem reading it or running a program on it?

Again, BIOS V2.3 did not have a problem on the PC configured as it is now?

1 Rookie

• 

43 Posts

May 7th, 2022 08:00

I haven't responded in a while, partially because I didn't have time and partially because it appears that DELL cannot figure it out.  Anyway, I went back to BIOS v2.3.0 and have not touched any other setting.  I've applied Windows updates as normal, applied an updated video driver, and have not had a single problem.  With v2.3.0, I have no hangs, no lock-ups, no issues.  It appears I will NOT be applying v2.5.1 either.  To me, this all points to the BIOS and I'll stay on v2.3.0.  The latest may be a little better from the sounds of it, but v2.3.0 is rock solid.  

I have really always liked DELL products, but this episode is leaving a really bad impression.  

4 Operator

• 

1.7K Posts

May 7th, 2022 10:00

@bdtnr,

I suggest you do move up to BIOS V2.5.1. No, it isn't perfect, but it does include all the Security fixes (no, I don't know what they are or even if there are any?) supposedly.

Yes, it is not guaranteed not to cause freezes, but for me at least, it greatly reduces them. Many days between them vs. daily under V2.4.

I hope Dell can fix it completely? I assume they thought they did but it seems they didn't get it completely fixed.

At least give V2.5.1 a try... not good enough, can still go back to V2.4.0.

No Events found!