Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

September 6th, 2022 05:00

XPS 8940, BT headphones no longer working since update

Hello all. Just wondering if anybody else has had this happen. I have an XPS 8940, fully updated and functional until yesterday. Something updated, which I assumed were Bluetooth drivers or something related, and now my Apple Airpods or any headset/headphones will not connect properly. 

On Saturday they were working fine and Sunday morning they were not. In Bluetooth under settings it shows that they connect, but instead of saying "Connected voice, music" it just says "Connected voice." Now they only work as a wireless headset. The mic works and audio plays, but only low grade, telephone quality audio comes out. Previously the airpods worked fine and sounded normal. I spent a good deal of Sunday trying to correct this. I rolled back drivers, updated drivers, uninstalled devices (Bluetooth, wifi, etc), removed and re-paired headsets all with no luck. I looked on the internet high and low and found people with similar problems, but no real solutions

I have sony bluetooth headphones that I use also, connected them and they have the same issue. Two devices show up in the Sound control panel for each pair of headphones, headset and headphones, but I cannot make the headphones the default device  (which I need to play audio). Both headsets have a mic if that makes a difference.

I was starting to think it had to with audio drivers perhaps, but I connected my Bose soundlink and it connected fine and played music at its normal quality level.  Everything else audio related seems to work, except my bluetooth headsets. I have enclosed screenshots of my bluetooth settings and dialog boxes. Has anybody came across this and have any ideas how to fix it? Thanks

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Untitled4.png

November 24th, 2022 21:00

I found a solution and it worked for me.  hopefully it works for you.  i realize this whole thing was from a cc cleaner update for me.  here's the solution that worked for me thanks to "Kapuzen".  he's the goat for figuring this out, no idea how he came up with this..   give it a try

Hand's free only Headphones - Microsoft Community

192 Posts

September 6th, 2022 10:00

Not sure if this is the same issue but had something similar this weekend on a client's machine I work on remotely. Although his bluetooth headset showed as default in the sound control settings they weren't. When I highlighted them I was able to click set as default (even though they were listed already as default) I was then able to change other settings and his headphones now work as they did before all the updates.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 6th, 2022 10:00

@TheWho822 wrote:

XPS-8940,

fully updated and functional until yesterday. Something updated, which I assumed were Bluetooth drivers or something related, and now my Apple Airpods or any headset/headphones will not connect properly. 

Connected voice, music" it just says "Connected voice." Now they only work as a wireless headset.

That usually means they are now using the incorrect Bluetooth Device Profile.

Delete the problem Bluetooth devices completely, reboot, then reconnect and re-pair them.

In this Windows-10 or Windows-11 ? Report back and let us know how that worked.

192 Posts

September 6th, 2022 13:00

@TheWho822  Try clicking on Headset that is now default and see if you can then click the "Set Default" button below. That's what happened with the one I had. Went through all the repairing and garbage with no success. Then on a lark I clicked set as default on the headset (even though it showed as default like your image) and it took it and allowed me to start changing defaults again. IDK it was weird.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

September 6th, 2022 13:00

Sorry about that, I have Windows 10 still for now. Tesla1856, I did that already Sunday, but I did it again just now as well with the same results. I tried both my Airpods and Sony headphones. I figured it was using the incorrect profile or there's something wrong with the A2DP profile, but don't really know what to do. The only things I haven't tried is to do a restore on the pc or upgrade to windows 11. I don't want to do either if I don't have to, but will if it comes down to it if it will solve the issue.

68Cutlass- Thanks for the info but no dice. Part of the issue is that I can't change the default device to the headphones vs the headset in the sound control panel. It shows up as being there, but I cannot select it as the default device.

192 Posts

September 6th, 2022 14:00

I should add that prior to doing that I uninstalled the audio driver, removed all ghost entries from device manager, re-installed the driver. The headset showed as default but still allowed me to click "Set as Default" and client reports it is working correctly again.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

September 6th, 2022 16:00

@68cutlassThanks for the advice and I tried that but it doesn't seem to work for me. The the set as default option is greyed out for the headset, probably because it is already set as default. As you know, I need to be able to set the headphones as the default device. It's almost like the pc doesn't think the headphones are connected, even though it is the same device and I should (and used to until Sunday) be able to go between them, but cannot.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 6th, 2022 17:00

@TheWho822 wrote:

1. Sorry about that, I have Windows 10 still for now.

2. Tesla1856, I did that already Sunday, but I did it again just now as well with the same results. I tried both my Airpods and Sony headphones.

3. I figured it was using the incorrect profile or there's something wrong with the A2DP profile,

1. If it came that way, that is fine for now (you still have a couple of years).

2. Hmm. That should have fixed it. Are you sure it's getting completely un-paired and completely-deleted first? I think you delete from "Device and Printers" (but maybe it's Device-Manager) ?

3. Right. Thing is, I've never had a Bluetooth device use the wrong one, so not sure how to fix it. Maybe Google that.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

@Tesla1856Yep. I am sure it is getting completely unpaired and deleted. Done it multiple times now. I've found similar issues when i searched google for it, but nothing has worked that I've tried so far. Thanks for the help anyway.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@TheWho822 wrote:

1. Yep. I am sure it is getting completely unpaired and deleted. Done it multiple times now.

2. I've found similar issues when i searched google for it, but nothing has worked that I've tried so far. Thanks for the help anyway.

1. Good.

2. check this page. Looks like a good page. At least, they have a nice list of the available BT Profiles.

https://pureinfotech.com/fix-bluetooth-connection-problems-windows-10/

All my newer computers are on Windows-11 now (including my 3 XPS laptops). I'm wonder if it's just better now (as all my BT stuff is working fine here).

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-fix-bluetooth-windows-11

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@TheWho822 wrote:

Apple Airpods

Just an idea, but go ahead and make sure they are completely un-paired, deleted, and forgotten on your iPhone.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

Untitled7.pngUntitled8.png

So here is two screenshots. One of my device manager and the other is the hardware tab from the properties for the Airpods. I'm not sure if I'm on to something or not, but shouldn't Microsoft Bluetooth A2dp Source be a driver under "Sound, video and game controllers" in device manager and in the Airpods hardware tab? If not, maybe the screenshots will help anyway.

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

September 6th, 2022 18:00

@Tesla1856  Good idea, just tried it but it didn't work. That webpage you linked had some good info, but nothing that helped or that I hadn't tried already. I'm going to reinstall the bluetooth drivers again, maybe the other time didn't go right. Who knows?

I haven't switched to Windows 11 yet because everything was running just fine with Windows 10. Knowing Dell recently, I'm afraid some things won't work like they used to if I upgrade. My XPS came with Windows 10 obviously and was assembled early in the 8940's production. It's more than capable of handling windows 11, but I'm still hesitant. I may end up doing it anyway if this issue can't be resolved. I'm saving it as a last option though.

November 24th, 2022 11:00

I have an alienware aurora R11 and have been experiencing the same issue since september as well.  I tried all of these things and nothing has worked.  headsets only connect as voice.   one headset does connect as audio, voice, but only one. a JBL Live Free NC+.  i have another JBL live 300 and that still only connects in voice.  Did you ever get your to work? i'm kind

1 Rookie

• 

21 Posts

November 24th, 2022 13:00

Hey. I have not been able to make it work. I have given up and have just been using wired headphones. I think maybe a complete system restore or an external bluetooth adapter might work, but haven’t tried either yet.

No Events found!