Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

110 Posts

January 13th, 2021 14:00

Good info, thanks. I will monitor temps and see if I'm comfortable with the system 'as is'. It's clear if people are after max MHZ of the CPU, keeping it cool is a key. I'm not certain why others are making these cooling mods but I can see doing this if they have added more memory, a higher power GPU, more hard drives.

Scott

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 13th, 2021 14:00

@skylerallen2000 

You don't seem overwhelmed.  Actually you seem to have a good handle on everything based on your explanation. 

With regard to the screws and washers, as per @Darren_F , you will need 4 of each, and @Darren_F also not only used m3 washers but also m4 washers, again 4 of each.

BTW, I also have the same GPU and you are correct it is huge and nothing will in the case the end of the GPU facing the front, and you also right it is "messy wiring"

4 Posts

January 14th, 2021 07:00

@Anonymous @redxps630 Thank you both for the very detailed info

So here is my result! Took me a little more than an hour to complete, most of that was because of the silicone hooks for the rear fan, I was afraid that if I pull them too hard they will break, but they are actually very strong!

Assembling of the CPU cooler went smoothly, I actually live in Germany so I ordered the M3 screws and M3 washers on ebay from schraubenkasten.de for 5€, for those who aren't sure where to get them.

Temps have gone down to about 65, those were 95 before so I‘m very satisfied!

Although it also means that the total cost I spent for the PC was more than expected, but for the long run I‘m sure it‘s worth it!

IMG_0600.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 14th, 2021 10:00

@hquangn   Temps have gone down to about 65, those were 95 before so I‘m very satisfied!

Gute Arbeit, mein Freund!   Thank you for sharing your results.

15 Posts

January 15th, 2021 22:00

Hey guys. Very new to all this pc stuff so just want to make sure of things before I go ahead.. About to fit the nh-u9s to my 8940 with a 10700 non-k processor. I have got all the required hardware (m3x16mm screws, m3 washers and the included noctua brackets etc), but have seen some conflicting posts about what spacers (black or white) to use... Can anyone shed some light please? I have already done the nf-a9 exhaust fan upgrade    

TIA

15 Posts

January 16th, 2021 05:00

@Tarak Abu Adam  Yes but also in this thread JamesonB stated that he used the black spacers and only 1 washer. So confused now lol

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 16th, 2021 05:00

@cLiinKz 

As per Darren_F, you will need to use the white spacers.  Darren_F also stated that he used two washers on each screw, A M3 and an M4 washer.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 16th, 2021 06:00

@cLiinKz 

Indeed, you are correct.

I ordered all the parts (cooler, 2 X fans, and NA-FC1 kit) and waiting for them to arrive from Amazon.  I got my screws and washers (M3 and M4) locally.  I will try the white spacers and see if only one set of washers (M3) if enough.  If I end up having to use the black spacers instead or also adding the M4 washers as well I will post here and let everyone know.

15 Posts

January 18th, 2021 19:00

Ok so I just installed nh-u9s into my machine. Even as an absolute amateur, it only took about 30 mins all up. Can 100% confirm that the black spacers in the intel kit are what you need to use, along with the m3x16mm screws and a single m3 washer on each. Has dropped my idle temps from 35c to 28c and my gaming temps (fortnite and warzone) from 88c to 62c. Absolutely worth it imo, very happy with results
Cheers guys. 

15 Posts

January 18th, 2021 20:00

@Tarak Abu Adam 

Just running the cooler with the single fan at the moment, and upgraded exhaust fan to nf-a9 pwm. Plugged both straight into their respective headers on the mobo and all was good. 

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

January 18th, 2021 20:00

@cLiinKz 

Nice.

BTW, did you add a second fan to the cooler, and/or replace the original rear exhaust fan?  If so, did you use the NA-FC1 kit?

I haven't upgraded mine yet as I am still waiting for my parts to arrive.

January 19th, 2021 15:00

also i have all 3 fans pointing and blowing in the same direction which is ideal correct? 

well i managed to install the u9s with 2 a9 fans, an a9 rear exhaust fan, and the fc1 fan controller. (3 a9 fans total) 

this was my first time working on internal computer stuff but a few notes for future people reading this.

i would install the rear exhaust fan before installing the new cpu cooler so you have more space to pull the rubber things through and have it sit properly

since there has been a bit of confusion around spacers and screws etc. i will list the order of how things looked upon my assembly from bottom to top assuming you have layed the computer on its side... on the bottom is the motherboard > then black spacer (included in u9s kit) > then the metal bracket (included in u9s kit) > then m3 washer (not included) > followed by m3 x 16mm screw (not included) going through all other pieces and screwing into motherboard

this seemed to have worked for me, i hope this makes sense and is helpful to someone else

another thing to note is my initial plan was to plug all 3 new fans into the fc1 fan controller which would be connected to both the CPU FAN and SATA cable. when i did this, my pc wouldnt boot and flashed orange. i unplugged the rear case exhaust fan from the fc1 and plugged it into the SYS FAN which fixed the boot problem and everything worked fine

now from my understanding the purpose of the fc1 was to allow connection of all 3 fans to both the mobo for automatic fan speed adjustment as well as the sata cable to provide it with more power to spin faster? will having my rear exhaust fan only hooked up to the mobo cause turbulent air flow if both cpu cooler fans are spinning faster or at different speeds? or am misunderstanding all of this?

maybe i need clarification on the purpose of the fc1?

15 Posts

@skylerallen2000 

Spot on with the mounting instructions. That’s exactly how I did mine, works perfect.
Im not sure the controller is even needed is it?  Have you tried plugging both fans on the cooler to the cpu fan header on mobo using the splitter included with the nf-a9? To my understanding, both will receive pwm signal and spin at same speeds. And then the exhaust to the case fan header, as you have done. 

ya im starting to think its not needed either. from reading forum i was scared of getting bios error that someone else reported and read the fc1 may help with that

No Events found!