Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

April 6th, 2021 17:00

@SomeCaliGuy 

I got the Vetroo cooler today, and I wanted to sanity check the process to replace the stock cooler with that one to make sure I have it right. If you'd indulge me, I'd appreciate it.

• Unscrew and remove the stock cooler
  • Clean old thermal paste from CPU
  • Screw brackets onto motherboard mount points
  • Apply new thermal paste
  • Screw Vetroo cooler onto brackets in the order listed in its documentation
  • Attach fan to heatsink, ensuring that it's blowing toward the back of the case

So basically, it's the same as any other cooler installation, except that you don't install a backplate because the board provides the mount points that the backplate would normally provide.

1 Message

April 7th, 2021 06:00

Hello, new owner of the 8940. I wish I stumbled upon this thread before impulsively buying a CPU cooler lol. I ordered a Cooler Master i71c and was wondering if that requires any additional equipment? 

28 Posts

April 7th, 2021 07:00

----> For the XPS 8940, you won't use the included Vetroo Intel back-plate at all.

Mount the brackets to the cooler as per the directions in the box.  Then installing the new cooler is just the reverse of uninstalling the old cooler. 

The Vetroo V5 mounting screws will probably need some slight adjustment (they slide in the bracket just for that reason) before final mounting.

Once you clean it, I strongly suggest not immediately re-pasting the CPU, so you can adjust how the screws in the brackets will fit the motherboard screw holes.

First, mount the brackets to the cooler first, then put everything in position and adjust/slide the bracket screws until they match the spacing on the MB screw holes.  Don't screw them down, just assure the fit/spacing.

And then paste the cpu and when you put the vetroo on to mount it, everything will fit perfect and you can just screw it down (4-5 turns each corner, crisscrossing for equal pressure, go firm, but don't over tighten).

And then, you attach the fan, set to blow the air out of the case (i.e. to the back, see my previous photo).

28 Posts

April 7th, 2021 07:00

I've now had a chance to do further testing with the Vetroo V5 cooler under real life (i.e. not benchmark) conditions. 

After lots of video editing, transcoding (plus CPU heavy gaming, etc.) I'm happy to say that, no matter how I abuse it (willfully or not).  the Vetroo V5 seems to always keep the CPU at 70-71C or lower.

April 7th, 2021 08:00

@SomeCaliGuy 

Thanks so much for the clarifications!

One minor question - did you connect the RGB cable to anything, or did you just leave it unlit? The case is opaque so it doesn't really matter, and without looking at the board it feels unlikely that there's even an RGB header, but I'm just curious.

April 7th, 2021 09:00

@Jon-62 Yep, no point whatsoever, it was really just idle curiosity. I wouldn't have hooked it up even if it had the appropriate connector.

319 Posts

April 7th, 2021 09:00

@FuriousBrad  The specs indicate that the fan uses 5V addressable RGB.  There aren't any 12V RGB or 5V ARGB headers on the motherboard and, as you say, what would be the point as the case is dark when closed up.

April 7th, 2021 10:00

Hi guys, I'm staying at Malaysia and there's no vetroo v5 available yet. Would it be good if I use pure rock 2?

28 Posts

I just tucked the RGB cable into the bit of side space (between the cages for for the 2.5 and 3.5 HDD's).  This allowed me to keep the wiring fairly tidy and the fan doesn't care if you're using the RGB (or not).

28 Posts

@CoolerdellCan't you just order the Vetroo V5 through amazon or ebay? 

319 Posts

@Coolerdell  The Pure Rock Slim 2 would be a better choice, with a height of only 135mm from the top of the processor.

319 Posts

@Coolerdell   I'd suggest that the Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 may be too tall for the case.  The cooler measures 155mm from the top of the processor to the top of the cooler and my XPS 8940 case isn't much wider.  Dell gives169mm for the width of an XPS 8940, which I don't think will be enough of a difference to allow the cooler to fit in.

1 Message

April 7th, 2021 14:00

Hi @SomeCaliGuy ,

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I got the cpu cooler ordered and on the way! I also ordered a new fan for the back of the cage cause why not! I also ordered the vrm coolers that you linked in your post, may I ask what those are used for? I'm kind of a computer noob, and since you used them I went ahead and ordered them. 

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

363 Posts

April 7th, 2021 17:00

@Incogniton the VRM is the Voltage Regulator Module. It's those components placed right next to the CPU socket, and their role is to provide power to the CPU (transforming 12V into much lower voltage needed by the CPU). They handle a lot of current, and tend to get pretty hot, especially when the CPU is running at full load and drawing a lot of power. Putting a heatsink on them allows for that heat to dissipate faster.

1 Rookie

• 

363 Posts

April 7th, 2021 19:00

How timely! One of my favorite youtubers just released a video about how bad the stock cooler in the XPS (and G5) is.

He also got his hands on one of the bigger coolers that Dell puts on K CPUs and compares that, as well as a Noctua to the stock cooler. Needless to say the tiny stock cooler fails miserably and he mocks it all along the video. The big Dell cooler is better, but still not as good as the Noctua. 

One interesting tidbit of info he mentions (at 4:32 in the video) is that the Dell reps told him that they only consider the CPU to be overheating if the system actually crashes and shuts down, so when it reaches 100 degrees, not the thermal throttling temp of 90 degrees which severely degrades performance. To them, that's acceptable!

No Events found!