Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2020 19:00

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

290 Posts

June 29th, 2021 14:00

@bertro514 - yeah, kinda figured that's the only way. 

June 29th, 2021 15:00

@SteveK318 I wonder where in the removeable case side i should drill/cut for best airflow. Since the front bottom allows air in more so then the top front, i think the top front on the side would be the best. Thoughts?

319 Posts

June 29th, 2021 16:00

@studmonkey77   My GPU doesn't have the bracket (not long enough) so I don't know.

@Jon-62 just seen it.  Gonna give it a print now and hopefully test it soon. Thanks! How about another idea.  Make a 3d bracket that uses the 120mm and 2 80mm fan combo. One big bracket. Lol

319 Posts

@studmonkey77  I've uploaded an M3 version now on the same Thingiverse page, but it may take a while to render and appear on Thingiverse. 

319 Posts

June 30th, 2021 00:00

@studmonkey77   I considered it, but the current mounting arrangement for the 120 mm fan is both good and simple but couldn’t be used for a combined frame.  Also, there are a lot more possibilities for getting the measurements wrong.

Also, note what I’ve written elsewhere regarding the double fan frame - you’ll need to take the 120 mm fan out and refit it afterwards.  Also, use tape to hold the nuts in the recesses with pull tags so you can remove them afterwards.

363 Posts

June 30th, 2021 06:00

Liquid cooling wins in situations where you can't fit a big enough air cooler on a (usually overclocked) CPU. For example, Alienware PCs which have a terrible design where the PSU is so close to the CPU that you can't fit any tower air cooler, so you have to go liquid. Or even the G5/XPS for people who want to overclock (if the Motherboard / power delivery system actually supported serious OC). In our case of not overclocking, liquid cooling is about as useful as RGB, lol. And much riskier, since a water leak is no fun.

Another important thing: decent liquid cooling starts at about 240mm radiator size (two-fan). Those 120mm single-fan AIOs are useless marketing gimmicks. Many YT reviewers have shown those are worse than a a good tower cooler.

290 Posts

June 30th, 2021 10:00

@studmonkey77 - not really sure about that one !  Maybe some of the others like @LikeHerdingCats @Jon-62 @svdgabriel @Own8940 @bertro514  might have an idea.

-- Steve

290 Posts

June 30th, 2021 10:00

@bertro514 - my favorite line of the week - "In our case of not overclocking, liquid cooling is about as useful as RGB" !!!!   Maybe I'm just an old fart , or maybe I just don't need flashing spinning lights and music playing in the background of everything like todays generation !!!

363 Posts

June 30th, 2021 12:00

@studmonkey77 , I wish I had a better answer than "not closing the panel at all seems to be the only decent option".

I got my 360mm by 120mm filter today and ran an experiment where I covered half of the computer side with that filter and the other half with the case panel (just holding it in place by hand). Within 30 seconds, the GPU temp under load shot from a stable 54 degrees to 60 degrees and the panel started feeling hot to the touch. I tried this experiment both vertically (front half of the side covered with filter, back half covered with solid metal) and horizontally (bottom half, where the GPU is, covered with the filter, top half with the metal). I didn't see much change in CPU temps, but GPU temp is definitely affected by even the slightest airflow restriction. I assume it has a lot to do with the PSU being so close to the GPU fans. Any obstruction traps all that warm air in there and it goes directly into the GPU. Real bad design.

I think the only viable way to keep the side panel on is to not only put holes in it, but to also install a fan to actively push air in through those holes (or through a big cut). Right now, I'm thinking about ditching the side panel completely and finding a piece of mesh large enough (about 360mm by 360mm) to cover the entire side of the PC. 

cc @SteveK318 

June 30th, 2021 13:00

@Jon-62  how about a design for a 120mm fan bracket for the bottom insted of the 80mm? I know the hpu bracket to stabelize the gpu will have to be removed. Also, just to let others know, if you use the double 80mm fan bracket, you cant use the gpu stabelization bracket.

319 Posts

June 30th, 2021 14:00

@bertro514   I bought a roll, 300 mm x 1000 mm off eBay for £4.39 here in UK.  It’s not magnetic so I bought the small magnets and some adhesive magnetic strip.

319 Posts

June 30th, 2021 14:00

@studmonkey77   It’s not a viable option due to the power connector going on to front lower corner of the motherboard.

June 30th, 2021 16:00

@Jon-62  what about a 92mm fan? Would that work down there? 

290 Posts

June 30th, 2021 17:00

@bertro514 - good info - thanks !

yeah, the temps are finally back near normal here. so I'm thinking about putting my side cover back on tonight.. but I don't know, I kinda like watching the fans spin !!!

No Events found!