32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
500W Black Bezel Chassis inc ODD

Now for the GPU. My options are:

GTX 1660 Ti
RTX 2060 6GB
RTX 2060 Super 8GB
Radeon RX 5600

From another post I understand that 1660 Ti is double width and renders the adjacent PCIe x4 slot unusable. Is the same true for the other three?

Noise will be important to me. Do you think it will be any significant noise/heat difference between the 4 cards, under normal use? If any of the other three cards are not double width (so PCIe x4 may be used) and are as good (or better) than GTX 1660 Ti, I would be inclined to upgrade. For my needs, quiet operation for the entire system under non-gaming use is more important than peak performance in gaming. In a previous question I had, I have been told by an user which has a similar system with the 1660 Ti that air flow is fine and "noise-level is non-existent". Will it likely be the same with any of the other three cards?

Any advice on this is much appreciated!

September 12th, 2020 22:00

Why is Dell even offering  RTX 2070 Super as an option when they max out the PSU at 500W? The standalone MSI RTX 2060 cannot be bought separately on the Canadian site, it only appears on the US one.

Interestingly, I can configure a regular 8940 with GTX 1660Ti and a 8940 SE with RTX 2060 at exactly the same price $1,899CAD (everything else being equal).

There are also power supply calculator sites that can give you a good idea of what you would need to run everything efficiently. https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator The 2070 Super is definitely pushing it, but it's doable.

You will find if you build the same configuration with a G5 you will save a few bucks. I'm running the 2070 Super just fine. That said, I'm in agreement with others that I wouldn't push this PSU any further.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@GameCrusader    The 2070 Super is definitely pushing it, but it's doable.

Are you running your system with a 65 watt CPU?  @Flying Elbow   is at least considering the "K" 125 watt CPU, so I would think for that system the RTX 2060 would be much safer.

September 13th, 2020 09:00

I am running the i7-10700KF CPU.

According to the Power Supply Calculator I should be running a 514W PSU. If I was to move to a 3070 I should run a 519W. So it's right at the boarder but it should be ok.

This all said, if I was able I would switch out the PUS with a 650W, but I can't so I'll just push this one until it dies. 

19 Posts

September 13th, 2020 13:00

I don't have the K processor. With the i7, the system runs silently but the case feels warm. I don't hear any fan noise except when I run the hardware test on Dell Support Assist. I haven't really stressed the system until this point, just doing desktop tasks.

September 13th, 2020 13:00

Thank you! I saw that in some other thread you were asking (before you got your 8940 probably) whether new  "processor fan and heat-sink assembly" as stated in the service manual means that the new CPU cooler is standard on all configurations, or it is again reserved only for K-versions. Can you confirm, is it indeed a new cooler on the i7-10700 or is the stock Intel one? I have read so many thread,and perhaps I am jumbling information in my head, but I don't remember this being confirmed/refuted specifically for 8940, regular or SE.

Thanks again!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 13th, 2020 14:00

Keep in mind that Dell OEM video cards may require somewhat less power than the retail version of the same card because, amongst other things, there are differences in the number and type of video ports available.

For the RTX 2060, the Dell OEM card only has 3 video ports and the MSI card that was linked above has 4 video ports. So the retail version, which can be purchased at various websites, probably needs more power.

One of my Dell tech contacts mentioned he doesn't know if any RTX 30xx series video cards will work with current versions of Dell BIOS. The XPS 8940 is new, so they probably will test some RTX 30xx cards in this model, and possibly have to update BIOS, so stay tuned...

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 16:00

I have the 8940 w/ RTX 2060 and non-k i9-10900.

I talked to a rep beforehand with a specific concern about noise/silence. He recommended this non-k config accordingly.

I can confirm that it is near silent. Even if I get down right next to the box, I don't think I can hear anything beyond ambient noise not coming from the PC.

Other notes:

I'm still not totally happy with Windows 10. Windows 7 feels snappier to me and certainly looks much better. Windows 10's "flat" look is just plain ugly.

The machine is fast, but somehow I feel it could be faster. I think it's Windows 10's fault. I just pretty much hate this OS.

Sadly, I learned that the install key is tied to the motherboard now. Really hard to install my non-oem version of Windows, and of course you can't install Windows 7 anymore. I've always built my PCs before, and these restrictions are disappointing.

Maybe the K version would give me the speed I crave. I just don't know. I liked the idea of lower power and lower heat of the non K, however, and I never overclocked my chips.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2020 17:00

@JAuburn    I can confirm that it is near silent. Even if I get down right next to the box, I don't think I can hear anything beyond ambient noise not coming from the PC.

Is this ambient silence while doing nothing . . . or while running a Prime95 stress test.  It could be different 

Maybe the K version would give me the speed I crave. I just don't know. I liked the idea of lower power and lower heat of the non K, however, and I never overclocked my chips.

There is a big difference in the CPU cooler that comes with the "K" processors as compared to the non-"K" processors.

5 Posts

October 4th, 2020 02:00

I'm not here to argue. I just reported my findings. Take 'em or not.

I don't give a hoot about "CPU coolers." I'll leave that silliness to people who look at their computers rather than use them.

I just wanted a fast, quiet machine, and that's what I have. My non-K CPU cooler works, and I can't hear it. Done.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2020 03:00

The Dell OEM GPU's are made to not overtax the psu.

Retail cards may fry the proprietary power supply which is why I would never buy a G5 or an 8940.

Get an aurora instead.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2020 10:00

@JAuburn    I'm not here to argue. I just reported my findings. Take 'em or not.

not here to argue at all . . . interested in your reported findings . . . just trying to understand the circumstances under which those were observed.

I don't give a hoot about "CPU coolers." I'll leave that silliness to people who look at their computers rather than use them.

Yes . . . CPU coolers are pretty much just cosmetic decoration . . . so you make a good point there.

October 5th, 2020 15:00

Good to know it's nearly silent. Still waiting for mine, October 23rd delivery. And i9 is not even available in Canada. 

No Events found!