Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

August 19th, 2020 18:00

XPS 8940, Logitech 5.1 system, no Sound

Hi All,

I just received my new 8940 (New Special Edition) computer .. details: Corei9-10900K, 32 GB RAM (2x16), 2 TB M.2, added two SATA III hard disks (8 TB and 10 TB).

All works well EXCEPT the sound. I attached an existing Logitech 5.1 sound system and at first, I did not get any sound. Reinstalled the Realtek sound driver and MaxxAudioPro and got the left, right, center and subwoofer channels, didn't get the rear left or rear right.

I also installed the software for a logitech G935 7.1 headset. The sound control panel says it is 7.1 but I only receive the left and right channels, no center, no sub woofer, no rear and no side channels.

I'm thinking the O/S (upgraded Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro) is somehow partially blocking my sound, so I plan to rebuild the O/S from scratch this weekend.

Has anyone seen this before? I would be upset if the motherboard was at fault. It would require replacement and even though a Dell supplied technician will come to the house and replace it, it is still a large pain.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 20th, 2020 04:00

Did you try going to Control Panel, 'Hardware and Sound', Sound, in the Sound window select 'Speaker / Headphones', then click on 'Configure' (bottom left), and in the 'Speaker Setup' windows change the 'Audio channels' to '5.1 Surround'?

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 13:00

Yes .. did all that before I posted.

1 Rookie

• 

31 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 17:00

UPDATE .. The problem was due to an incompatibility between MaxxAudio Pro and something on the XPS 8940 .. don't know if the issue is the 10th Gen corei9, the Z470 chipset or something on the 3940 motherboard.

I uninstalled the offending application and all seems to be working, at least for now.

NOTE:  MaxxAudioPro was automatically loaded from the MS store .. it is normally part of the standard DELL load for the XPS 3910 and XPS 3930.  I changed my store profile to not use MaxxAudio Pro

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 18:00

Are you sure you have the correct version of the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application package from the Dell Drivers and Downloads site for the XPS 8940? The Application package guides you to the Microsoft Store to download the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application. While the full details of the package list the XPS 8940 as one of the compatible systems for the package it does not list the XPS 8910 or XPS 8930.

2 Posts

August 30th, 2020 17:00

I am having the same issue with my new Dell XPS 8940, except that the rear speakers pass a sound test in the sound panel, but refuse to produce any sound when listening to music, movies, etc.

Have tried all the suggestions listed here to no avail.

Very disappointed.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2021 13:00

Wanted to post this update regarding my issues with surround sound on Dell XPS 8940.

(Speaker test produced sound in all speakers but no music or other sounds eminated from surround speakers.)

I finally resolved this problem by going to the system registry and deleting the Waves Audio folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and then reinstalling latest Realtek driver for 8940 from Dell.

The driver install will reinstall Waves.  I had to delete the Waves Folder a couple of times and reinstall the Realtek driver a couple of times for it to recognize that speakers were connected rather than headphones, but I am happy to report that once again my 5.1 surround sound is working as designed.

Usual cautions about making edits to the registry.  I am glad that I did not pay Dell a support fee of over $100 to resolve this problem.

Mike

April 6th, 2021 17:00

I tried the above but no luck. This is an annoying setup by Dell.

A symptom of  problem shows in the sound settings in the systray which lists it as headphones. 

To fix run (or install if it isn't) Waves MaxxAudio Pro. Search for it using windows search on the start menu Then use this utility to tell it that you plugged in surround sound, rather than the default headphones.

I had to fix this when I purchased the system, and then after a DELL system update (rather than a windows update)

April 12th, 2021 14:00

Having the same issue - will post a solution if i find one, but meanwhile, I'm getting "some" audio while the subwoofer is completely unrecognized and nonfunctional.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 12th, 2021 17:00

@iAmJustAchild 

If you want Waves MaxxAudio Pro installed on this system, try this:

Open the Waves MaxxAudio control panel. Click the Speaker icon and scroll down to the Advanced option and click to expand it. Put a check in the box "allow popup".  If that box is already checked, uncheck it, close and then reopen the Maxx panel and put a check in that box again

With the Maxx panel closed, disconnect audio output devices from the PC and reboot. When you're back at the desktop and everything is fully loaded, plug the speakers into the correct jack(s) on PC. Wait until the Maxx popup box appears and asks what you connected. Choose the correct option from the list.

If the subwoofer is a separate connection, plug that in after the main speakers are recognized and wait until Maxx pops up again and select the correct option.

Then open the Maxx control panel and click Playback. Make sure the little slider (next to the ? mark) is moved toward the right to turn  "Dimension" on and configure/test on that screen.

April 13th, 2021 14:00

"Open the Waves MaxxAudio control panel. Click the Speaker icon and scroll down to the Advanced option and click to expand it."

- - This was already check.

I have no cables attached am using bluetooth ... tried this with the single cable that connects to the Logitech Z337 subwoofer, and it didn't help, unfortunately.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 13th, 2021 16:00

@iAmJustAchild   - Did you uncheck that box, close the Waves control panel, and then reopen it again and put the check in that box? Sometimes it just doesn't see the check unless you uncheck/recheck that box...

And, Start>Search, type in: Bluetooth and press OK. When the results appear, look on the list for options for the  {opposite of "stereo", because it won't let me post the m-word for that type of audio...grrr...  }. Make sure that setting is turned off.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 14th, 2021 15:00

@iAmJustAchild  - Did you open the Waves MaxxAudio control panel again and go to its Dimension screen and make sure the slider is ON, and then see if you can configure things there?

April 14th, 2021 15:00

I tried the uncheck and check the box under 'Advanced' in MaxxAudio

the subwoofer is "sort of" working.

The Windows >Sounds>>Speakers>>>Configure

Only shows "m()n()" and "stereo" options and neither shows the subwoofer

The native Windows >Sounds>>Realtek>>>Configure

Only shows the subwoofer if I disable certain speakers

At this time, I think we've made progress but it's not fixed exactly

2 Posts

May 15th, 2021 18:00

I had same problem, Logitech surround sound with 3.5mm jack. Deleted the registry folder for Maxx Audio, rebooted and it just started to work. So it does seem like some kind of compatibility issue with Maxx Audio and XPS 8940 system.

4 Posts

June 16th, 2021 12:00

I have similar problems and followed this troubleshooting which got me much further.  Now the Maxx audio sees this a 5.1 and the jacks are listed correctly.... However, only L/R channels work (green).  The rear (black) and center/sub (orange) lines puts out nothing. 

Not sure where to go next.  

No Events found!