Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 8940, Logitech 5.1 system, no Sound

Hi All,

I just received my new 8940 (New Special Edition) computer .. details: Corei9-10900K, 32 GB RAM (2x16), 2 TB M.2, added two SATA III hard disks (8 TB and 10 TB).

All works well EXCEPT the sound. I attached an existing Logitech 5.1 sound system and at first, I did not get any sound. Reinstalled the Realtek sound driver and MaxxAudioPro and got the left, right, center and subwoofer channels, didn't get the rear left or rear right.

I also installed the software for a logitech G935 7.1 headset. The sound control panel says it is 7.1 but I only receive the left and right channels, no center, no sub woofer, no rear and no side channels.

I'm thinking the O/S (upgraded Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro) is somehow partially blocking my sound, so I plan to rebuild the O/S from scratch this weekend.

Has anyone seen this before? I would be upset if the motherboard was at fault. It would require replacement and even though a Dell supplied technician will come to the house and replace it, it is still a large pain.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: 8940 Sound

Did you try going to Control Panel, 'Hardware and Sound', Sound, in the Sound window select 'Speaker / Headphones', then click on 'Configure' (bottom left), and in the 'Speaker Setup' windows change the 'Audio channels' to '5.1 Surround'?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes .. did all that before I posted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

UPDATE .. The problem was due to an incompatibility between MaxxAudio Pro and something on the XPS 8940 .. don't know if the issue is the 10th Gen corei9, the Z470 chipset or something on the 3940 motherboard.

I uninstalled the offending application and all seems to be working, at least for now.

NOTE:  MaxxAudioPro was automatically loaded from the MS store .. it is normally part of the standard DELL load for the XPS 3910 and XPS 3930.  I changed my store profile to not use MaxxAudio Pro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Are you sure you have the correct version of the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application package from the Dell Drivers and Downloads site for the XPS 8940? The Application package guides you to the Microsoft Store to download the Waves MaxxAudio Pro Application. While the full details of the package list the XPS 8940 as one of the compatible systems for the package it does not list the XPS 8910 or XPS 8930.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8940, Logitech 5.1 system, no Sound

I am having the same issue with my new Dell XPS 8940, except that the rear speakers pass a sound test in the sound panel, but refuse to produce any sound when listening to music, movies, etc.

Have tried all the suggestions listed here to no avail.

Very disappointed.

0 Kudos