Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2020 11:00

XPS 8940 SE, sleep issue

I have an XPS 8940 SE, with the 10900K CPU. I'm having issues where it will not stay in sleep mode and am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue. Per the system event logs, it appears to be the Ethernet controller that keeps waking up the PC, yet there is nothing that should be doing "wake on lan", nor can I find a way to disable it.

If I manually put it to sleep, it generally wakes back up in 1-30 seconds. If I let it go to sleep on its own, it may or may not stay there awhile. Once I observed it sleep for several hours, but on the other hand, one it woke up in the middle of the night and didn't go back to sleep for over 36 hours.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2020 15:00

Open Device Manager and double-click the Killer Ethernet entry.  Click its Power Management tab and make sure the box "Allow this device to wake PC" is not checked.

Now click the Advanced tab and scroll down in Properties box and set "Wake on Magic Packet" to disabled. and then scroll down further and set "Wake on Pattern Match" to disabled. Click OK to save the changes and exit Device Manager, and reboot. Does that help?

If that doesn't fix it, click Start>Run and type in services.msc and press OK. When services.msc opens, disable all Killer services that are listed. You don't need them. Then close service.msc and reboot. Does that help?

BTW: Why are there so many Netwtw10 entries in your log? That's a WiFi driver. So you might want to double-check that it's not allowed to wake the PC on its Power Management tab in Device Manager, or just disable the WiFi card in Device Manager if you don't use it. You can always re-enable it if you want...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 6th, 2020 12:00

There is a Wake on LAN/WLAN option listed in BIOS setup on this model. So have you checked to see if it's enabled?

Did you try disabling Wake Timers in the Power plan? Open the Windows Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen identify the active Power plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen, click Change Advanced Power Settings.

On that last screen, expand Sleep and set Allow Wake Timers to Disabled. You might also want to disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend and PCI Express Link State Management on that same screen. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Do you have any tasks scheduled in Task Scheduler that allow apps to "phone home" to look for updates or run antiviral scans, etc?

11 Posts

November 6th, 2020 15:00

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Wake-on-lan is disabled in the BIOS, so it's not that.

Also, when this happens, according to the system log, the wake source is ALWAYS  "Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller". It is not an app or a timer. 

20201106_175657.jpg

It also makes no sense that 99% of the time that I manually put it to sleep that within a few seconds it wakes up.

Where this PC is going to be located, wifi is weak, and I prefer using Ethernet instead of wifi anyway. There is no reason that the Ethernet controller should be doing this.

If I don't have Ethernet connected, it appears the problem stops. If I connect Ethernet while it is asleep, it wakes up. Of all the many PCs I've owned and worked with, I've never run into this. 

(Of course if it does manage to sleep and I manually wake it with the mouse or keyboard, it shows the wake source as USB, which is expected.  It's the unexpected wakes from the Ethernet controller that are the problem.)

And sometimes it appears to never even try to go to sleep for many hours.

11 Posts

November 13th, 2020 08:00

Thanks. I wish I had seen your reply sooner, but between this and other issues I was having, I returned the PC and will likely end up building my own.

The "allow this device to wake..." item might have been the resolution to this issue, but since I didn't see this response until after I shipped it back, I cannot know for certain...but I'll mark your reply as the solution since it sounds reasonable. 

I was also thinking that this and one of my other issues may just be the PC is "too new" and the issues would eventually be fixed by bios or driver updates, but I wasn't willing to risk that. 

I can definitely say that when using wifi, the issue was not happening; it was definitely tied only to Ethernet. One day, for around an hour, it kept going to sleep for maybe 39 seconds then waking up. I could hear the HDD spin up each time. After around an hour, it stopped going to sleep and remained awake the rest of the day, after which is when I boxed it up to return. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 13th, 2020 11:00

@ftdatl  - Sorry you had to send the PC back.

The settings changes I suggested are the same as Killer also recommends on their own site for "random wake" issues, which aren't limited to Killer Ethernet controllers.

We haven't seen other reports of this same issue on the XPS 8940, so maybe it was just an issue with the one system...

No Events found!