XPS Desktops

Last reply by 08-23-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 8940, add 2nd 3.5" HDD

My new XPS 8940 has a 256 GB SSD and a 2 TB 3.5" drive. I would like to add a 2nd 3.5" Hard Drive to the enclosure. The chassis currently has a couple of unused Hard Drive cages. One of them is 2.5" and appears to be riveted to the chassis. The other unused cage is slightly bigger and held in place with screws, but still looks to be too small to fit a 3.5" hard drive. 

Is there any way to replace one of the smaller unused hard drive cages with a 3.5" cage?

bbdude
Replies (60)

Thank you for letting us know.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

bbdude,

I want to do the same thing.  But I could not find the additional sata-power cable  or the data cable inside 8940.  How did you manage. Pl. explain.  I already got a HDD from amazon.  I have some extra screws. Thanks.

BISW2000

@the bbdude 

I just ordered the 8940 and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.  It is coming with a 512 SSD for the OS, and a 3.5 1TB 3.5 SATA HDD.  I plan to remove the 1TB 3.5 SATA HDD and install two WB Black 8TB 3.5 SATA HDD.  I was so glad to see your thread here stating that you has successfully installing a second 3.5 SATA HDD.  

What I would like to know is if you needed to buy an extra cable to accommodate the second 3.5 SATA HDD?  And if so which one did you purchase?  Lastly , what else did you have to produce/purchase to complete the install, i.e. screws, etc?

I want to be able to purchase everything before the PC arrives so I can have everything ready to upgrade it right away.

In the XPS 8940 Factory configuration, there is a SATA data and power cable routed over to the unused 2.5" HDD cage (top rear of the chassis) but nothing is in that cage. I just rerouted those cables over to the unused 3.5" HDD cage (top front of chassis) and that is where I installed the new HDD. plugged in the cables and done.

The 10 TB WD Purple drive I added did not come with screws, so I removed a couple of screws from an old PC (I had long ago quit using) HDD mount.

bbdude

@the bbdude 

Thanks for the quick reply.  So all I will have to do is get screws, that easy enough.

Another question if you don't mind.  Why did you go with the WD Purple?  I ask because I am looking at getting the WD Black instead and was wondering if there were any technical pro/cons with one over the other.  And also, other then HDD additions have you done any other modifications?  I was thinking of adding a fan on the inside behind the front of the chassis to assist in pulling air in.  BTW, I ordered my 8940 with i9 10900, I am installing 128GB of Crucial Battistix RAM, a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro SSD for the OS, and two 8 TB WD Black in RAID 1, and lastly it is coming with the new Nvidia RTX 3070.

The Western Digital Purple series HDD's are for 24/7 Surveillance, ie they can be written-to continuously and can withstand higher temperatures in a PC that is always turned on and operating.

The only other modification I made to my XPS8940 was to add an Ethernet NIC card (Rosewill RC-20001 2.5GBASE-T PCIe Network Adapter 2.5Gbps PCIe card). This allowed me to create a separate isolated LAN for my IP Surveillance cameras.

bbdude

@Tarak Abu Adam  Just be careful with the Crucial Ballistix memory.  Dell doesn't allow XPS profiles for memory, so you will only be able to run it at its SPD profile, which is likely to be 2400 MHz, rather than the 2933 MHz of the installed  memory.

@Jon-62 

Via Task Manager, Windows reports a memory speed of 2666 MHz.  

WD Black is 10,000 RPM and they get VERY HOT.

Western Digital blue, the warranty is 2 years.

Western Digital black the warranty is 5 years. 

Western Digital red & purple the warranty is 3 years. 

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Diagnostics & Tools

Greetings, Tarak Abu

Sorry for the delayed response. I would recommend you to contact our sales experts who should be able to check for product compatibility and availability.

Thanks,

Sahana

Dell-Sahana R
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor