Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2021 22:00

XPS 8940, audio interface

I just purchased a XPS 8940 Core i7 and works great. The problem I am having is connecting my Mackie ProFX6v3 mixer that has a built in interface. When its running with my XPS 8940 the sound quality is not good. Sounds like if all the bass was removed. But when I connect a Scarlet Solo interface to it then sound is great. I tried downloading the Mackie drivers twice and still same issue. Both interfaces work great on my old Lenovo 320 laptop so I don't know whats going on.

Can anyone please help?

7 Posts

May 6th, 2021 07:00

Problem resolved. Dell told me to try and disable the audio enhancements and that was it. Audio sounds great now.

Thanks for all your help and patience!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2021 06:00

According to what I find, it has a USB interface available.  I don't know how many channels that is, but I had a Behringer 8 channel mixer with a USB interface and it was just two (stereo) channels.

7 Posts

Looks like its an analog mixer.

7 Posts

Yes you are correct. The Mackie ProFX6v3 has a USB interface. Online it does say that its an analog USB mixer. I tried installing the drivers twice and nothing changes with the quality of sound. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Are you using the digital USB interface? or analog?

PC should handle the Mackie digital interface the same way it handles the Focusrite or any other recording interface unit.  If the audio is bad then it has to be in the Mackie driver software or control program (if it has one).

7 Posts

May 5th, 2021 07:00

Ok I will give that a try and let you know what happens. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2021 07:00

Like other similar units it is an "Analog Mixer" but the USB interface (output) is Digital. Same way as your Focusrite unit, it has an analog input but the USB connection to the PC is digital.

I would start over.  But to have a clean reinstall there are several steps that need to be taken.

1. Connect Mackie (with it powered on).

2. Go to the Device Manager (RIGHT click on the Windows "start'" icon on lower left and select Device Manager).  

3. If installed the Mackie should be listed in the Sound, Video and Game Controller section.

4. RIGHT click on the Mackie entry then LEFT click "Uninstall".  Also uninstall any drivers (pop up should ask if you want to uninstall the drivers).  

5. Disconnect Mackie.

6. Uninstall any other Mackie programs.

7. Restart PC (don't skip this step).

8. Reinstall Mackie drivers and software but DO NOT connect Mackie until either the driver install tells you or until the install is completed.  

9. Connect Mackie and Windows should install it.

10.  Check Device Manager to see if its listed and working OK.

11. If all is installed OK, then check audio with whatever program you have.   

7 Posts

May 5th, 2021 08:00

I did steps 1 and 2 and I see the Focusrite, but not the Mackie listed under Sound, video and game controllers.

Its listed by itself after Keyboards:

IMG_20210505_102554__01.jpg

• 

16.8K Posts

May 6th, 2021 07:00

jocor89,

Thank you for the update.  Glad the issue is resolved.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 8th, 2021 03:00

I don't accept that as a fix.  If you are really using the digital (USB) connection to the PC then there is some other problem.  Been working with recording/digital audio interfaces for 15 years and disabling enhancements has never had anything to do with a problem such as this.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

May 8th, 2021 12:00

@jocor89  - Exactly what audio "enhancements" did you disable? Waves MaxxAudio Pro or something else?

7 Posts

May 12th, 2021 14:00

The audio enhancements for the Mackie ProFX in the sound properties.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 16th, 2021 13:00

When feature update Borks the Realtek driver

I have had issues with

Realtek Default Components
A-Volute Nahimic 3 Extension
Dolby Access OEM
Dolby Atmos effects

I recommend the Scarlett 2I2 studio Gen3

Works with every person I have set it up for and still does today.

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Studio-Interface-Recording/dp/B07QNZ3XT3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bD5jQaSNxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2-oeY76XD8

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 17th, 2021 02:00

An audio interface unit will work great but I'm  a "Never Focusrite" in my recording studio.  I've had Focusrite interfaces, from a Saffire Pro 40 to Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen, and poor latency and and poor audio fidelity compared to some other brands.  I use MOTU brand interfaces in my recording studio.

No Events found!