Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 29th, 2022 20:00

XPS 8940, does yours freeze randomly?

Please list your XPS 8940 configuration if you are experiencing random freezes (lock ups). Dell replaced the motherboard but it's still doing it.

Mine =

Windows 11 Home
11th Gen Intel Core i7- 11700 processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 2.5GHz to 4.9GHz)
32GB memory (2x16GB)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (LHR)
1TB M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA 7200 RPM HDD
BDRE Drive (Reads and Writes t o Blu-Ray disks
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x 2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
500W power supply

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 21st, 2022 07:00

Thanks @ishmael 

I know it doesn't make sense and @ispalten won't agree but there are at least two without lockups have Power mgmt checked to allow the computer to turn off this device for Intel Mgmt Engine Interface. I made that changed and couple more thing with NVIDIA setting and I'm on the 25th days without lockups (finger crossed)

Power supply :  Lite-On 500W 099TPH

Screenshot 2022-09-21 074530.png

msinfo.png

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

@DELL-Jesse L wrote:

Douluo,

Following up to see if the system is still freezing? 

@DELL-Jesse L he posted up above, @ 09-21-2022 12:47 AM that it was.

What is Dell doing about this? It has been going on since Jan., 8 months ago with no relief.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

PSU: Delta Electronics, 05K7J8, 500w

Intel Mgmt Engine Interface: v2145.1.42.0, 10/31/2021, Power Mgmt is checked to allow the computer to turn off this device

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

September 21st, 2022 08:00

@ispalten I was hoping it's an IME bug WRT power management. 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

@itccs 

They STILL want my XPS back. I will not do it under the terms of the exchange. Will get an Nvidia card, may not be a new system and could be refurbished, and worse, everything must be left  on the drives. My financial info, pictures, programs, etc. I'd almost consider that if I could wipe the drives clean but that is not acceptable to Dell support. Others have turned down the offer as well I've been told.

Even since V2.4.0 though with each BIOS release, time between fails appear to be getting longer. Had 2 fails in 2 days on V2.9.0, then 30 days with none, and then 2 in 4 days, and now, 6 and counting with none? I can see why Dell can't recreate it? Need to know how to do it. Suspect just turning one on and leaving it will not always happen?

Yes, on a tower that is always connected to an A/C supply and has no batteries, checking ANY device to be powered off to save power is not needed or probably saving you much money in electric fees. On a Laptop, different story. If nothing else, turning the option off allows instance access to the service vs. waiting for it to wake up.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

@itccs wrote:

@ispalten I was hoping it's an IME bug WRT power management. 

Possible, but more like a timing issue, a call didn't get a response in time and hung? But I doubt it.

Still, why would some think doing such on a Tower is needed? At best, it is unneeded, at worst, it doesn't mater if on of off.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

It seems like nothing other than telling you to run diagnostics, factory reset. None of of them would work as so many of us reported.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

September 21st, 2022 09:00

I can't recall, but does this lockup occur only after the PC has been on for quite awhile?  Or can it occur shortly after startup?   Does the lockup only occur when the PC has been left idle or while actively using the PC?  Has this lockup occurred on PCs right out of the box without any additional software or hardware changes?  Seems like if it was software only issue, the lockups would be less random. 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 21st, 2022 10:00

Lock ups are totally random, no warning it would happen either.

There is no single 'way/time' is happens either, at least in my case? I've had it happen typing, trying to open and icon on the desktop, closing a windows, closing a program, waking the PC up when the screen saver is running. Waking up the PC when the monitor and hard disk is sleeping. and even when sitting idle with the desktop showing. As for the minimum timeframe from boot it would lock up, I have not tracked that, but I'm sure it varies.  It can also be a function of what BIOS you have installed, some have it happen more often than others.

24 Posts

September 21st, 2022 12:00

Just installed 2H22 yesterday and yep...still freezing. It doesn't seem to be as frequent though. Next step for me is to run all hardware diagnostics but I'd bet my last dollar they're all fine--just like our 8920 with the exact same behavior. And I don't see the point of contacting Dell if they're all negative. Not paying for extra software support and no way I'm sending it back with all my personal info/as is.

@ishmael 

Mine locks up on almost every startup and I absolutely notice a relationship between lockup frequency and idle time. But like others, it's random. I can have multiple background lockups in the space of 15min, while other times I might be able to go a couple hours. But if I leave the computer sitting...it's almost always locked up when I return, especially after 20min or longer.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2022 12:00

Mine has the same issue! 

The Tech support was TERRRIBLE and then my warranty expired. Im so close to just scrapping this thing and selling the parts to fund another build. Anyone have any real recourse or fixes here? im so dissapointed after spending $1700 and so many hours on this issue! 

360W Night Sky Bezel Chassis including optical drive Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive 32GB, 16Gx2, DDR4, 2933MHz Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD) NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1660 SUPER(TM) 6GB GDDR6 Windows 10 Home English 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K processor (8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.6GHz to 5.0GHz) Windows System Driver, XPS 8940 Onboard, Realtek Codec Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.1 Driver

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 21st, 2022 13:00

@Douluo 

I initially when I got the XPS had the screen go black for a few seconds after boot completed and the Desktop appeared. Put through the usual Dell-Cares stuff, Safe Mode, take the monitor to another PC, put the Monitor on another PC, reinstall the drivers, use the new drivers, NOTHING helped. OK Dell-Cares decided to replace the motherboard and video card. Didn't fix it. More games to play with Dell-Cares.

Never fixed it, and I decided to get DDU and completely clean off the anything Nvidia related (Windows will then, at low resolution drive the monitor or you could connect it to the Intel build-in video). Once rebooted I went direct to Nvidia and got the driver from them. Installed it ALL, Driver, Control Panel, GEForce Experience, and everything else. Problem solved...

Since you are not experiencing the same as the majority of users with lock ups, maybe you should give DDU (Google for it) and see what happens.

24 Posts

September 21st, 2022 13:00

Interesting. Ok, thanks. I'll give that a shot.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 13th, 2022 08:00

now i'm on 47 days without a lock up. It's the longest time ever since I bought this XPS. I'm about to install this month windows update to see if it locks up again or not.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

October 13th, 2022 09:00

@itccs 

Well, I have exceeded 30 days without a lock up on BIOS V2.9.0 and another user who is on BIOS V2.2.0 is well over 20 days. I don't think I've changed anything that might relate to Nvidia but update the Game Ready Driver they released last month (and a new one yesterday). Installing the driver last month DID cause a lock up though?

So,, what are you attributing the longevity with no lock up too? If you think you know what you changed, for 'science', reverse the change and see if you can go as long without out a lock up to verify it please...

I hope you found the 'smoking gun'!

No Events found!