Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

22 Posts

March 23rd, 2021 17:00

XPS 8940, is MSI Afterburner safe to use?

I have a 8940 with i7-10700K, 32GB RAM and RTX2060 Super 8GB GPU and have seen some mention of MSI Afterburner mentioned here. I’ve read up a bit on the software and it seems like a very useful program, even if you don’t overclock your GPU.  My questions are:

- Is MSIA safe to use on this setup?  Can it damage my system in any way?

- Has anyone with this (or similar) setup used MSIA?  If so, were you able to safely apply OC to your GPU?  What were your results and was it worth it?

- Does MSIA conflict with any other programs (ie Nvidia Control Center, GeForce Experience, Dell Display Manager, etc)?

Thx in advance for your comments & advice. 

22 Posts

Forgot to ask, will the custom fan profile function work on my 8940?

29 Posts

yes just make sure you keep that card cool.  Add some case fans 

1 Rookie

• 

363 Posts

March 24th, 2021 06:00

MSI Afterburner is designed to work within the limits imposed by your GPU's BIOS. It can't go higher than the max voltage limit or thermal limit supported by the card (which are the main causes of "frying" components). Modern GPUs are designed to protect themselves, so you'll get artifacts, freezing or thermal shutdown before you can do any real damage. That being said, make sure your case gets enough cooling and set your fan curve to 1:1 (i.e. % of fan speed to match temperature: 40% for 40 degrees, 70% for 70 degrees, etc.) to avoid throttling and decreased performance.

After initially overclocking my 3070 as high as I could (+170 on core and +200 on memory), I've now gone the opposite way in MSI Afterburner: removed the core overclock and applied a slight undervolt to run it a bit cooler. My framerates are in the same ballpark as when overclocked, and often a bit higher because the card runs much cooler (~65-75 degrees in games vs ~85 before) so it doesn't throttle. It's also quieter because the fans don't have to rev up as high. I still kept the memory overclock.

22 Posts

March 24th, 2021 07:00

That’s great info, thx!!

No Events found!