Unsolved

Closed

S

12 Posts

May 10th, 2023 10:00

XPS 8940, loses connection after sleep mode

XPS 8940

XPS 8940

XPS 8940 loses frequently connection after a short time in sleep mode. Usually fixed by rebooting but it's really annoying for a new computer to do that.

12 Posts

May 24th, 2023 09:00

Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm on BIOS version 2.12.0, 3/10/2023; SMBIOS 3.2; BIOS Mode UEFI

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070

I leave computer for 2 hours, come back to black screens that do not react when mouse or keyboard are activated, computer acts dead (no fan or processing noise), eventually have to hold power button more than 5 seconds to finally trigger a reboot..

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 24th, 2023 13:00

@ShissKebabu 

Was the 'sleep state' that you couldn't get out off the ONLY problem where you had to use the Power Button?

I'm wondering as your initial post was about this, "XPS 8940 loses frequently connection after a short time in sleep mode." which when asked for more details was the Wireless SSID connection?

Are we talking about 2 different issues here? As a few posts ago you seemed to indicate that the Wireless issue if 'gone'?

I ask as you have an Nvidia card. Almost every 8940 user here with that make video card has experienced 'lock-ups'. That is NOTHING happens on the screen, can't move the mouse, sounds stop, video's stop, and even the black screen that can't be woken up from sleep.

Have you looked in the Event Viewer after you reboot with the power button? Usually you will find a Critical entry for Kernel power, The event 41 kernel power means that there is something happened unexpectedly that blocked Windows from turning off properly and there is a message saying that “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.” Normal for using the power button, but are there ANY other Events, either Critical or Error showing within that 2 hour window? You might see something like this:

ispalten_0-1684961055235.png

The CRITICAL are ones you should be concerned with for sure. Errors, well, probably 95%+ of them are 'normal'. For instance, in mine, the Bonjour are due to an Apple device (iPad or iPhone) not connected. Stuff like that. However, they should be looked at by clicking on them.

12 Posts

May 24th, 2023 19:00

No other issues besides computer not waking up from sleep. As for the loss of connection, as I mentioned before, it has not happened again yet.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 25th, 2023 09:00

@ShissKebabu 

If this IS new, not waking up from sleep, I suggest you look in Device Manager for all the Devices that can wake up the PC, usually Keyboard and Mouse and make sure the Power Settings are enabled to do that. Also check ALL the USB devices, sometimes depending how connected, the devices do run through USB.

Now if this specifically is a recurring problem, it could be related to the video card? It is/was a symptom of it locking the PC up. If this continues to happen, and it happens regularly I'd suggest switching over to the Intel HD750 slot and that should not lock up and you can wake the PC up. If that happens and it works the problem is the Nvidia card.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 25th, 2023 10:00

@ShissKebabu  - Be sure to look in Device Manager at all devices listed under both USB and Human Interface Devices for a Power Management tab (if they have one) and check the box to "wake PC" and uncheck the box to "allow PC to turn off".  Reboot when done...

12 Posts

May 25th, 2023 11:00

Ron, yes I've done that already. Issue has happened again.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

May 26th, 2023 14:00

@ShissKebabu,

If 'happened again' is you can't get the XPS out of sleep, then it could very well be the Nvidia Card problem.

I found this link a while ago, https://windowsreport.com/nvidia-driver-keeps-crashing-windows-11/ and it has some info on things to try, but that is not what I did, I did "4. Reconfigure settings in Nvidia Control Panel" and although I can't pin that as a fix, I've seemed to have less of the problem over time.

But before that, I suggest you get DDU, https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html and run it. It will remove any and all vestiges of the Nvidia driver. I had initial problem with the Dell installed one that came with my 8940. Support even went so far as to replace my video card and motherboard without resolving the problem (brief black screen right after the desktop appeared on booting). DDU did after I got the latest Nvidia driver from the Nvidia Site (or used GeForce Experience). Once you've got rid of the Nvidia driver, re-boot and Windows will use its internal driver, low function, low resolution, but it will enable you to now install the latest Nvidia driver. That might help, but no guarantees, but surely worth a try.

If it DOES not, I suggest you start a NEW Subject with all the h/w and failure details. Continuing here though would have some people who might be able to help with video problems or waking up the PC from sleep to miss this secondary problem you have vs. the subject problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 17th, 2023 00:00

There must be some issues in BIOS.

No Events found!