Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

June 11th, 2022 09:00

XPS 8940, no video to Samsung 4K monitor

I have a newly purchased open box XPS 8940 running Windows 11 Pro with all the latest drivers and updates installed, still under warranty. I was using it with an HP 24" monitor which worked fine. I just purchased a new 32" Samsung 4K HDR monitor. The monitor works fine when plugged into my HP laptop as a second monitor, and also works fine when plugged into a Phillips Blu-Ray player. When I plug it into the XPS, I get no signal, either as the only monitor plugged in or as a second monitor together with the HP monitor, using the same HDMI cable. I get no video either out of the HDMI port or the DisplayPort connector. Windows also refuses to recognize that the Samsung is plugged in as a second display. I know the cable has to be good and I know the monitor has to be good. Is there something I am missing?

I have purchased an Nvidia Quadro card, and plan to install it shortly, but I would like to get the monitor working with the built-in video first. Does anyone have any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 11th, 2022 12:00

@mjw72652 

There are a few Samsung 32" monitor's (S70, M7, UJ590, etc.), which one do you have?

I assume the base 8940 HD is a UHD750? (Check with Device Manager or System Info)

You might also need to Daisy Chain the monitor's, see https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000128707/how-to-daisy-chain-multiple-monitors-using-displayport-multi-stream-transport-mst for details.

When you have both monitors connected, run the Intel Graphics Command Center, should already be on your 8940, and see if IT can detect both displays.

Also on the System -) Display page (ALT-I) under Multiple Displays in a DETECT OTHER DISPLAY as well

Last place to look is on the BIOS (what version are you running, should be on the newest, V2.7.0, and if you mean 'Open Box Purchase' it could be old.

There is also a BIOS setting for Display. Is it set to auto-detect?

Visit the Intel Driver and Support Assist page (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html) as you might not have the latest Intel files?

Maybe one of these can fix the problem?

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

June 11th, 2022 13:00

Yes, the installed UHD is a UHD750. I do have all the latest drivers and BIOS- I updated them first thing. The monitor is a Samsung LS32A7000NWN. I ran the Intel Graphics Command Center as you suggested- it immediately detected both displays with the HP on the HDMI and the Samsung on the DisplayPort with an adapter to a known good HDMI cable to the monitor. When I went to settings, Windows was now able to detect both displays and has successfully extended the desktop onto the Samsung as monitor 2. I haven't tried the Samsung as just the primary monitor yet, but hopefully that will now work as well. Thank you so much for the extremely helpful suggestions- I sincerely appreciate th

• 

25.7K Posts

June 11th, 2022 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

No Events found!