Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 28th, 2022 16:00

XPS 8940, replacement motherboard, slow boot

A Dell service tech just replaced my XPS 8940 motherboard today.

I upgraded all of the drivers.

Boot time has increased from ~15 seconds to ~1 minute.

I'm figuring it's a bios setting but I don't know.

He did change the hard drive bios setting from ACHI to RAID. I'm not using RAID. When on ACHI the boot fails.

Last BIOS time is 6.1 seconds.

Any suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 1st, 2022 11:00

Try reverting back to BIOS v2.3.0.

Immediately after PC boots to the desktop when the update is finished, reboot again and tap F2 to open BIOS setup. Change the setting for UEFI Capsule Updates to disabled. Save the change and exit setup. See if PC is stable now.

When UEFI Capsule Updates is enabled, Windows Update can install a "new" version of BIOS automatically.  So PC may be stable for a while after you revert to 2.3.0 and then Windows Update installs a later version and you're back to having freezes again. So that's why you need to disable this setting as soon as 2.3.0 is installed.

And, don't let SupportAssist install any BIOS updates because that's another way an unstable version can get installed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 2nd, 2022 09:00

@suenrod wrote:

I need to revise my complaint. Shutdown takes ~80 seconds and boot takes ~45 seconds.

I ran the bios diagnostics last night with zero errors. All peripherals are disconnected. The only things connected are the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

When you have "Fast Startup" enabled, I've found that it increases Shut-Down time.

And since most of my machines are booting from NVMe-SSD, they boot way-fast on their own. In that case, I can leave Fast-Startup disabled ... boot is still as fast and shut-down time is not extended.

Not sure how you got into the whole RAID/AHCI procedures. Not something you should be changing unless you are willing to clean-install Windows.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

July 2nd, 2022 14:00

Since the July 30 update, (Intel Corporation - Extension - 18.7.1.1003) it hasn't locked up.

2 days and counting. Fingers crossed.

I'm not sure what this update was for but since it's labeled Intel, It's probably MB related.

It's fully updated right now with bios 2.7

If the freezing continues, I will revert the bios again.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

July 3rd, 2022 07:00

See my reply on a duplicated entry on another thread.

I can not find that UPDATE from MS anywhere, even the Reliability Viewer for updates/changes, nor expanding Device Manager and looking at all entries.

That number from Intel if a SCSI update... do you even have a SCSI device?

V2.7.0 will freeze, it just doesn't happen as often. 5 to 7 days between lock ups for me.

July 6th, 2022 20:00

pull the power plug out of your dvd rom and hhd then test the boot speed it should go down to 5 seconds

it means either one of the plugs are faulty or a drive is

No Events found!