Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

June 24th, 2022 08:00

XPS 8940, worked for 6 months, not covered by warranty

My XPS 8940 started crashing all browsers. Bought it from Dell 6 months ago. Googled fixes - did most of them.  Nothing worked. Paid a Local PC repair place $88 to diagnostic / fix. They say it is the motherboard and they cannot fix it but the PC is under warranty. Talked to Dell Service technician in 3 different phone calls totaling 3.25 hrs. Essentially they had me "Reset PC" which removes all my files and downloaded software. I removed my 3.5" hard-drive that has all my files. It is set back to what came from the factory. Browsers still crash. Dell technicians say it is a software problem and I have to now pay Dell $99 to their software team for a NO - GUARANTEE OF A FIX. Warranty does not cover their software - and they are not saying it is a problem with Windows 10. Remember, they reset the PC to what it was when it came from the factory and it does not work and they want $99 to just look at it. There is something wrong with how this PC was designed or manufactured and it appears no one can fix it. Not recommended and their customer service is awful and warranty useless. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 24th, 2022 12:00

@Delll1999  Have you run the hardware diagnostics? Reboot and tap F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. When the F12 menu opens, select the option to run diagnostics and run all of them. Be patient, RAM and drive tests can take a very long time. Note error messages, if any reported...

What version of BIOS is installed? There are issues with virtually all XPS 8940 BIOS versions after v2.3.0 which cause instability, freezes, and crashes. If you have any version later than v2.3.0, you may want to downgrade to this version.

You will have to change a setting in BIOS to allow the downgrade before doing anything else.  See table 9 here.

Save that BIOS setting change and exit setup. Now follow the instructions under Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system) at the page linked above to install BIOS 2.3.0 from a (non-bootable) USB stick.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 24th, 2022 12:00

Community managers should look into it. 

If a factory RESET was performed how come tech support can still calls it a software issue. 

I have seen Browser crashes due to Bad Processors. 

At least book a depot repair for this customer. 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 24th, 2022 14:00

@Delll1999 

Can you provide more details on "crashing all browsers"?

That phrase can mean a lot of different things?

Any specific Browser (which ones used?)?

Any specific URL or any URL?

Is there ANYTHING in the Event Viewer at the time of the 'crash'?

Is it ONLY Browsers?

If you look at the Reliability Viewer (Control Panel -> Security and Maintanence -> View Archived Messages) you might see some RED X's... click on those for the days of the crash and do any of them mention a Browser or something else around the time of the 'crash'?

If it is ONLY the browser's causing problems I wouldn't be thinking of a motherboard problem? Maybe it is a Firewall, but what you meant by crash is unknown.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 26th, 2022 21:00

I have the same problem with my xps8940 and the same customer support reply. Mine has been FREEZING since I got it though. 2-3 times a week when I got it but now it's a few times a day.

It's not a BSOD. It's a freeze.

I have been a Dell customer for over a decade but I am considering other options.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 26th, 2022 21:00

Thank you for reaching out to us. We'll be glad to look into this and assist you accordingly. To ensure the security of your information, we will work towards a resolution via private messages. Also, please delete the Dell/customer centric information from the public post for security reasons. 
We will continue working towards a resolution via private messages as the interactions may include user-centric and Dell-centric information.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 27th, 2022 05:00

If you searched this forum, you'd find many others with this problem.

It happens to users it seems that have both these common configuration items:

• An Nvidia Discrete video card, either shipped with the system or an add-on you purchased and installed.
  • Any BIOS V2.4.0 or later (Versions 2.5.1, 2.6.0, or 2.7.0)

Ver. 2.4.0 is the one that it happens most often on, others are better in that there is more time between the freezes/lock-ups.

The only 'cure' at this time is to down-level the BIOS to V2.3.0... In the BIOS also disable CAPSULE UPDATE so Windows UPDATE doesn't install the latest BIOS for you. Do not let Dell Support Assist or Dell Update do it either.

If you do not have an Nvidia card, if you are using CHROME as your browser, it can cause lock-ups as well. Google CHROME LOCK-UP and you'll find many that have this and the fix.

Anything else, check with Dell Support.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2022 00:00

Thank you very much for your help.   I left a longer reply to second post that essentially said what you said.   I have BIOS 2.7.0 and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

3 Posts

July 13th, 2022 00:00

Thank you very much for your help. I believe you have the solution !

MY VIDEO CARD IS A NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3060  and BIOS 2.7.0

FYI: I have spent 8 – 9 hours at this point with Dell support which consists of the hardware team and the software team. I had to assist them through the entire process and nothing worked. Then they send a dell tech to my house to replace 3 items:

1. the Mother Board part # K3CM7 ,

2. SSD card part # 152P8

3. and part #0PYG4

This should mean I have a fresh copy of Windows 10 and therefore has nothing to do with Windows 10.

I was at work when they installed these pieces and when I got home and turned on my PC, I could not get on line. I called the technician and he told me I have to call Dell support to make it work. I did (another 20 minute phone call) and was able to get online BUT, Google Chrome, Firefox and Edge all crashed browsing different sites. I called the technician back and he told me he was off the clock and was having dinner so is not going to help me.

More phone calls to Dell support and line up a 2nd technician to come out. (by the way the Dell system does not tell you in advance when the tech will arrive – in both cases I was notified via text, about 30 minutes AFTER they were to arrive)

Here is the WHOPPER: The 2nd technician was lined up but the Dell scheduling system was down so he had no official appointments. He showed up at my house OFF the clock because he simply found this an interesting challenge to solve. He sat in my office for 5.5 hours doing endless things and nothing worked. He is coming back to install a new SSD card, but I will forward him your information.

Thank you very much for your help. You fixed this nightmare of a problem.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

July 13th, 2022 06:00

This appears to be a typical response from Dell, replace h/w. With so many people having this problem, I don't know why Dell Support Agents are not aware that the problem even exists and is known to have a solution..

By the way, your problem is solved, so could you please go back and mark the solution SOLVED. That way others who have the same problem and on a Search, will see the solution.

No Events found!