Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

17 Posts

December 31st, 2021 14:00

XPS 8950, 4K support requires Intel SGX enabled in BIOS

I have a Dell XPS 8950 Desktop and need to enable Intel SGX (Software Guard Extensions) in the BIOS (Set to Software Controlled). Does anyone know how to do this? Is it not needed with Windows 11. I have an Intel i9-12900 CPU. I am trying to play 4K disk using a drive capable of playing 4K.

Any help is appreciated.

--Rocco--

1 Message

March 1st, 2022 06:00

Intel deprecated SGX for Intel12th Generation i9 12900 Intel CPU

Without SGX, you will be unable to play UHD 4K Blu-ray Discs (at least legitimately using e.g. PowerDVD Ultra).

possibly why it’s not an option in the BIOS for that machine.

17 Posts

March 1st, 2022 07:00

It is a shame.  I had hopes that 4k playback support could be built into a high end graphics card but I am unaware if that exists.  If any one has any way of making this work please share.

March 26th, 2022 12:00

Hi I have the same issue with an XPS 8940. My intel I9-11900K does not have the SGX feature. Went into the bios and SGX is not listed, so can not enable obviously. Can we install SGX though? This is something I am not sure about. Wanted to purchase one of Pioneer's 4k external drives but read that it needs this SGX thing. Very disappointing, after spending this much money on a computer, one can not even watch a stupid 4k blu ray. Will try with a cheaper Chinese blu ray drive. If anyone can inform if we can install this SGX thing or have a solution to this issue , thanks in advance. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

Read this...

And no, the i9-11900K doesn't support SGX so it can't be installed.

You'd have to downgrade PC to a 10th Gen CPU that still supported SGX, but that depends on if the XPS 8940 can even support any 10th Gen CPUs. And that would be a waste of your i9-11900K CPU.

Even Cyberlink  has given up supporting 4K Blu-Ray discs...

You may still be able to watch 4K Blu-Ray discs with a player connected directly to a 4K TV....

Just read that in Intell 11 and 12 systems , SGX is not supported anymore. Insane. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Guard_Extensions

17 Posts

March 26th, 2022 14:00

It is amazing that another solution does not exist.  I’m still have hope that someone will come up with a software add-in or a piece of hardware that can plug in.  Perhaps there could be a graphics card that would have SGX support built in.  Why would Intel drop this and not offer some other option.  Let me know if you find another solution.  If I find one I will reply to this thread and you.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 26th, 2022 18:00

If Cyberlink has given up trying to support 4K discs on PCs with an 11th or 12th Gen CPU, the outlook doesn't look good.

Latest Cyberlink software is PowerDVD 21, which requires "Intel 7th generation and until Intel 10th generation Core i processors that include the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology".

Serious new security issues were constantly being found in SGX technology which is why Intel abandoned it.  So somebody would have to (a) license SGX tech from Intel, assuming Intel would license it out, and (b) fix all those security holes that were just too much for a company as big as Intel to handle.

The tech has moved on...

17 Posts

August 4th, 2022 13:00

I’ve now heard of other non SGX solutions that may work to play 4k disks on selected 4k drives.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 4th, 2022 16:00

@RoccoP326  Care to share...?

17 Posts

August 8th, 2022 10:00

It’s software called PlayerFab but I have not tried it.  With the right Drive it may work according to some people on the internet. 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

August 8th, 2022 11:00

Their website doesn't say anything about being able to play 4K Blu-Ray discs with CPUs lacking SGX capabilities, or if the external player has to have built-in SGX and DRM support.

Even if it works, it's not cheap to buy that  app plus a BR player,  while still not being able to use the  BR player built into the PC for 4K...

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 11th, 2022 10:00

test post

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

August 11th, 2022 12:00

test post 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 11th, 2022 13:00

@RoccoP326 

@RoHe 

@Dell-BradL 

SGX is depricated and not available anymore.

HACKERS figured out how to buffer overflow it to steal RSA tokens.

Because of this Cyberlink also no longer supports it.

DESCRIPTION: Mbed TLS before the version 2.26.0 uses a non-constant time implementation for base64 decoding. Essentially, the usage of a lookup table in decoding keys stored as PEM files, allows an attacker to obtain key information by tracking the accessed cache lines during key decoding. The attack was demonstrated in Intel SGX.

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26690

The Intel SGX feature has been removed from Intel 11th generation (or newer) CPUs, and support for SGX may be removed at some point on the new versions of Intel drivers or utility programs (e.g., the Intel SGX and Intel Management Engine driver and firmware). These changes could make these platforms lose support for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback.

The removal of the SGX feature, and its compatibility with the latest Windows OS and drivers, has caused a substantial challenge for CyberLink to continue supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback in our player software. So much so, that it has been determined that it is no longer feasible for CyberLink to support the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on newer CPUs and the latest Windows platforms.

17 Posts

August 11th, 2022 17:00

What is a shame is this type of copy protection only hurts those who honestly buy the 4K disks.  The people who steal and copy disks to distribute illegally always seems to find a way around these obstacles.  I also blame Intel and other PC manufacturers who should disclose on their sale page that 11th and 12th Generation Intel CPU’s will not play 4K disks.  They should be transparent about this and not have someone like me buy a new Dell and then have 4 calls to tech support about this issue before someone tells me my computer can’t play my 4K movies.  The PC manufactures owe it to their customers to Go to Intel and work out a solution to this 4K disk issue, not just continue to sit back and let their customers bare the burden of no 4K playback.

No Events found!