Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

36 Posts

July 7th, 2022 07:00

XPS 8950 BIOS 1.4.0 Removes function

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

Just applied latest XPS 8950 BIOS. It removed some of the overclocking functionality. Only Overclocking ON and OC LVL 2 available. 

Was there a problem that caused additional functions to be removed?  If so, will it return?

Would be nice if Dell would provide descriptions of changes!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 7th, 2022 10:00

All this BIOS v1.4.0 update says is "Improved the stability of the system". 

36 Posts

July 7th, 2022 10:00

"Improved the stability of the system" covers a lot and is not specific. It would be nice to know what was changed. I only noticed the removal of some of the overclock function. Could there be other changes? Throttle memory, throttle CPU?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 7th, 2022 11:00

BTW: Did you try clearing BIOS by removing the motherboard battery to see if that might make those settings magically reappear?

1. Reboot and start tapping F2 when you see the Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall battery
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

I guess you could always revert to a prior version of BIOS, which still has those settings, assuming you actually need/use them. But then you won't have the "improved stability" that 2.4.0 offers. And you'd be locked into that prior version because any version after 2.4.0 likely also won't have those settings too.

36 Posts

@RoHe Understood. Given your accurate and practical understanding (as was mine), I would encourage others to document changes they find. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

I understand that's a totally "vanilla" explanation, but Dell rarely/never gets specific about what's been added/removed/fixed in BIOS updates, except when they mention which security (CVE) patches have been made.

36 Posts

@RoHe I have not. .I will give it a try tonight.  Thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

July 7th, 2022 13:00

@marsdavid I suggest you do what @RoHe recommends about clearing the BIOS. After you clear the BIOS, make sure the BIOS is detecting your hardware correctly. There is a Note in the Service Manual that indicates that the 'System setup options" listed in the BIOS may or may not appear depending upon the computer and the installed devices. By the way, the listed options in the Service Manual do not include the overclocking functionality you mentioned, but that could be because the manual is not up to date.

No Events found!