Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JF

7 Posts

August 18th, 2022 12:00

XPS 8950, Intel iGPU disabled after BIOS update

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

I was working with the Intel HD graphics but after the latest Dell BIOS update (1.5) the Intel iGPU seems to be disabled. Even after disabling/enabling the GPU again from the BIOS, it does not appear in the system. 

Any recommendation? 

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

August 21st, 2022 16:00

Have you tried to uninstall the device using the device manager by right clicking on it and selecting uninstall? Then hook up a monitor to the  integrated graphics port and restart the PC, It should automatically install all the drivers you need. This is what I did to get mine to work. If this doesn't work for you., I don't know what else to say except that hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in with some better solutions.

26 Posts

August 21st, 2022 19:00

I uninstalled it and it did not come back.  I'll try your suggestion.  Thanks.

Mark Luna

August 22nd, 2022 02:00

I contacted Dell support and this is a bug.

They suggest, as I already mentioned, downgrading the BIOS to 1.3 while they release a new BIOS with a new patch (hopefully within a few weeks).

In my case, using BIOS 1.3 everything works as expected. 

26 Posts

August 22nd, 2022 16:00

Thanks.

Mark Luna

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

August 22nd, 2022 16:00

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dell Support. It is always nice to hear that they are aware and are working on an actual solution rather than a work-around.

December 13th, 2022 21:00

I want to give an update on this. When I initially contacted Dell support (August 2022), I was told the fix will be available on September 2022. After a few BIOS releases, still in December 2022 with the latest BIOS update (1.9.0) this hasn't been fixed. The problem is that Windows 11 continuously tries to update the BIOS from the latest version working for the integrated graphics (1.3.0) to a new one. 

The only way I could make it work is to physically connect a DP cable that connects the Integrated Graphics card to a monitor. In this case, I can see both GPUs (NVIDIA RTX 3070 and the Intel HD Graphics). 

It is very upsetting that customers are paying for premium "customer support" and they do not solve anything, even worst, with false promises. 

February 17th, 2023 17:00

I have tried all bios versions from 1.3 onwards, none solved intel GPU so Intel Quick Sync is denied.

Dell support replaced RTX3060 Ti card and motherboard to resolve. That failed. I did a complete factory reset - did solve problem.

I was able to roll back bios to 1.3 but I can't do that either anymore due to updates from Microsoft/Dell.

I requested Dell Support if intel A770 graphics card may support intel Quick Sync - never got response.

XPS 8050 was sold to me as 'Creator's PC', so far it is restricting my creation that requires Intel Quick Sync because any software requiring Intel Quick Sync, like Davinci Resolve Studio 18, Hand Brake. etc. fails to see Quick Sync. 

Has anyone tried Intel A770 graphics card and got Intel Quick Sync working? 

February 18th, 2023 00:00

I have an Intel ARC 750 and it works well with DaVinci Resolve, especially fast when using the AV1 video codecs. I do not use Intel Quick Sync so can't say anything about it. 

Still, in my case, BIOS 1.3  is the one that works, but Windows updates it every time (even if BIOS updates are disabled). Now I am using BIOS 1.10 and I have dual monitors (one connected to the ARC GPU, and another connector to the DP port of the motherboard, which enables the Intel HD Graphics). This is the only configuration I could make it work for both discrete and integrated GPUs.

I contacted Dell support back in August 2022, and they told me this is going to be fixed by September 2022. We are now in February 2023 and this is not working. 

No Events found!