Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

June 12th, 2022 11:00

XPS 8950, Noctua 12v fan issues

Hello,

I have a new XPS 8950. I have found the default 12v rear case fan to be too loud, so I have tried replacing it with a Noctua 12v fan. But it caused BIOS bootup errors, and BSOD's. Then I tried connecting it through SATA, but the fan has no control and just spins way too fast and loud. I suppose I could get a fan controller for that, but the system still boots up to a BIOS fan error. I have seen in other systems the ability to ignore fans in the BIOS, but I don't see such an option here. How can I accomplish this?

Any help is appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

June 12th, 2022 19:00

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in but I am not sure that a person has that kind of control over the fans with the Dell BIOS. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

June 12th, 2022 21:00

It is by trial n error if you can find a third party fan that is accepted by Dell XPS 8950 bios.  based on aurora R9 user report, this might work

Corsair ML 120 Pro non-LED, CO-9050040-WW

note that worked for aurora bios, so may not apply to XPS.

but otoh, some Dell parts do not seem to change over decades.  Dell seems to still use the same type of server fan from XPS 400.  they must have such an endless stock inventory or great oem deal, or their engineer are just so keen on sticking to legacy Dell hardware.

2 Posts

June 14th, 2022 18:00

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if those Aurora machines have the same BIOS as this one.

This is a Phoenix 1.0.12 from this past February.

Pretty crappy BIOS, but that's another issue.

No Events found!