Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

48 Posts

February 21st, 2022 10:00

XPS 8950, aftermarket CPU Cooler - Be Quiet TF2 - fits

Hi all,

I wasn't happy with the factory supplied Air CPU cooler, so went on a quest to find the best Air Cooler I could fit in the 8950 chassis.  The cooler height is the biggest problem, have to stay under about 145mm otherwise you cant fit the side cover back on.  In the end, I found the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF2 not only fit, offers significantly better cooling for both the K and non-K CPU's.  However, this cooler may still be a bit small for the i9-12900K, but still better than the Air Cooler from Dell.

No modifications to anything was needed.  I just had to request the LGA1700 bracket form Be Quiet, which was sent to me free of charge.  I had to pickup and use some M3x20 cap screws (pack of 50 from McMaster Carr for $7) to drop down the Be Quiet stand offs and brackets to the chassis mounted screw bosses.

I am experimenting with the direction of air flow, up or down, and with one fan or two.  It appears the recommend direction of top down does produce the best results.  There is enough room to use both fans, however I didn't have the top fan mounted for the photos here.  The Dark Rock TF2 is silent, much quieter than the stock cooler fan.  Its not a cheap cooler, but its quality and it works.Factory shipped CPU Cooler (non K)Factory shipped CPU Cooler (non K)Place the stand offs on the MBPlace the stand offs on the MBDrop in the M3x20 cap screwsDrop in the M3x20 cap screwsRepate for both sidesRepate for both sidesReady for heat sink pastReady for heat sink pastUse the thinest amount that will evenly cover the CPUUse the thinest amount that will evenly cover the CPUI may have done some hand lapping on the base of mine :)I may have done some hand lapping on the base of mine :)With center fan mountedWith center fan mounted

12 Posts

April 24th, 2022 10:00

It looks like you actually might have the K-series according to your pictures. Do the K-series normally include front intake fans as well?

16 Posts

May 19th, 2022 09:00

Thanks for this.  I ordered my 8950 with their AIO cooler.  It was extremely loud.  So they sent out 2 more replacements, still annoyingly loud.  I bought a Corsair replacement, STILL loud.  So I'm going with your suggestion in the hopes that I can finally have a computer that produces less than 45 decibles at idle.

August 18th, 2022 18:00

I am having a problem with the bios where my fans (Noctua A12x25s) are having a problem with the bios even when saving and restarting. How did you do it when you were in bios? thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 13th, 2022 10:00

I am considering something like in the following link, a vertical fan / heatsink arrangement, thinking the back case fan will exhaust the heat from the cooler, no??

I think this one is too tall for XPS 8950, do you have any recommendation of this type of cooler  arrangement that will fit inside the XPS 8950?

https://www.amazon.ca/quiet-BK007-Elegant-Surface-Technology/dp/B087VL2Z21/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2CSRIWZ6HJ63J

If the cooler is for LGA1700 , the installation will not require working on the bottom side of the motherboard (removing motherboard from case) ?

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

September 13th, 2022 14:00

How much height clearance do you have?

4 Operator

• 

2.1K Posts

September 13th, 2022 21:00

Noctua NH-D12L  is "low profile" 145mm tall

Noctua NU-U9S  is only 125mm tall . . . smaller 92mm fan, but you can add a second fan for push/pull.

Both coolers come with a motherboard backplate. I'm not sure if your comment up thread was to imply that the LGA1700 socket has a substantial enough backplate that installation of the Noctua backplate is not necessary. Personally, I am not familiar with the XPS 8950 motherboard backplate, so I cannot say whether it is sufficient to support the Noctua Tower CPU air coolers.

Consider starting a new thread for this topic.

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 13th, 2022 21:00

Hi:

I can only approximate. About 140 - 145 mm . All those "vertical fan-heatsink" types that I came across are higher than that.  XPS 8950 has a small case; I have one of those vfertical one for my older i7 system, it works really well temperature-wise except the height, it is really tight ;almost touches the case cover.  in my old i7 system , the installation requires me to work on the back of the motherboard which I really don't want to do. For the XPS 8950 , I definitely don't want to do that, just want to find a vertical fan-heatsink type that only requires installing some standoffs/screws  on the top side of the motherboard. Any suggestion on a good brand for this type of cooler?

1 Rookie

• 

77 Posts

September 14th, 2022 07:00

Thank you for your input.

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 17:00

Hi, I really appreciate if you might see this and be able to respond on an old post thread.  Did you require any adapter for the CPU fan wiring header?  Did you get any BIOS warnings about the fan swap? I have read that sometimes Dell switches the pinouts trying to be proprietary - which could harm the fan/mobo.  I have ordered this cooler and screws and will soon attempt to do the same swap.  I just hope to be prepared and avoid any issues.  Thank you!

1 Message

December 4th, 2022 08:00

Hi,

know this is an old thread but I have also installed, fits great but I’m getting bios (v 1.8.0) error cpu fan not detected. Did you see this? Is there a work around?

48 Posts

December 6th, 2022 08:00

Simply select continue, then once at the Windows login page, reboot.  If you dont reboot after you continue from a fan error, the fans will run full speed.  The POST error your seeing is only from a cold start where the fans are not above a minimum speed by the time the cold boot tests are performed.  I let my computer sleep, this issue is not present waking from sleep, only from a cold boot.  I only ever do a cold boot after a BIOS update.

1 Message

March 9th, 2023 08:00

I just finished installing this cooler in my XPS 8950.  On boot I received a BIOS CPU fan error.  I continued to boot into the OS (Win11) and the thing is making so much noise I had to do a hard shutdown.  Anyone else have these issues?  I didn't see anywhere in the BIOS to change the CPU fan or fan speed.

6 Posts

May 29th, 2023 08:00

I just installed the Be Quiet TF2 and it's a marked improvement.

I am also getting the BIOS CPU fan error on startup. I am using only one fan in the TF2, and it is plugged directly into the motherboard. Should I have used the Y-cable that came with the CPU cooler, even though I am only using one fan?

1 Message

January 14th, 2024 18:54

PLEASE verify you did NOT need to remove motherboard....just removed the pancake cooler, placed the rubber standoffs on the top of the motherboard, and used Ms-0.5 X 20 mm screws and mounted the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF2.  Thanks.

No Events found!