Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

O

11 Posts

March 27th, 2023 08:00

XPS 8950, exiting sleep mode, resolution changes?

On my XPS 8950, the resolution decreases when I exit the screen "sleep" mode, i.e., Settings > System > Power > Screen and sleep > When plugged in, turn off my screen after > [x minutes]

What is happening is Windows 11 and Nvidia "forgets" the model of monitor and its resolution. So, the system defaults to a lower resolution. Restarting the computer doesn't fix it. I have to reinstall the monitor's *.inf file so the system knows the monitor and its resolution. I can then restore the native resolution using the Nvidia Control Panel or Windows Display Settings. How do I stop the resolution from changing when I "wake up" the screen?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 28th, 2023 05:00

I would start troubleshooting by downloading the Dell OEM WHQL RTX driver from the XPS 8950 drivers page, 31.0.15.1694, A01. Save it to your Windows desktop.

Uninstall the retail Nvidia driver. Install our OEM WHQL RTX driver. Reboot when done and retest.

By the way, the purchased 1 year warranty expires in December. If you want to extend the warranty =
* Go here
* Enter the private Service Tag
* Under, "Support Services" at top, click "Extend or Upgrade"

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 27th, 2023 12:00

I cannot find any notation that our Dell agents ever received the private Service Tag from you? Click the hyperlinked DELL-Cares username. On the right, click, "Send this user a private message". Share the private Service Tag.

* What monitor model?
* Is there an added video card installed? If yes, what model?
* How is the monitor attaching to the PC or video card?

• 

25.7K Posts

March 27th, 2023 20:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

11 Posts

March 28th, 2023 08:00

I didn't think it mattered using a retail Nvidia driver. I loaded the NVIDIA 31.0.15.2698_A00 driver (21 Mar 2023) from the Dell website. I'll try that driver for a while to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks you.

No Events found!