Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2018 08:00

XPS8500 HDD replacement size query?

Hi I have an XPS8500 with Windows 7 Home Edition I have just replaced the hard drive using an image of the previous system and all appears to be running well. I replaced the original Seagate 1TB disc with a Seagate 2TB disc. I’m not too fussed about the extra capacity, it’s just what was available at a good price. I did nothing apart from remove the original, take the new one out the box and install it. Then I restored the image from an external drive. My query is that the size of the hard drive is still showing as 900-odd gb ( don’t have it in front of me at the moment to give the exact figure). Why is this and does it mean the additional 1TB is inaccessible? Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

Imaging makes an exact copy.

You must run diskmgmt.msc and extend the partition onto the unused portion of the new drive.

Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to expand,  and select “Extend Volume” from the menu.

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

Open disc management and take a look at it.

7 Posts

October 11th, 2018 11:00

Thank you very much! 👍

7 Posts

October 11th, 2018 11:00

Thank you! It worked a treat! 👍

No Events found!