Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2021 13:00

XPS8930, Waves MaxxAudioPro Audio Driver not up to date

This error message appears (attached screen shot) when Waves MaxxAudioPro is opened  Nothing is operational in the app except for sound test.  MaxxAudioPro is included with the Realtek Audio driver so that should mean the update should work when the Realtek Audio driver is updated.

Re-installing the same version for the Realtek Audio driver through Dell Support wasn't a fix after WU installed the Realtek Audio driver update. All drivers for the XPS system are up to date including the latest BIOS.  

I fixed this problem a couple years ago but I didn't take any notes. I can see the launcher does remove both the Realtek audio driver first as well as the Maxx Audio (x64) driver. Then updates for both are installed. I've also verified these operations were successful in the Control panel Reliability Monitor.       

MaxxAudioPro.JPG 

Does anyone know a fix for this driver issue ?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 18th, 2021 17:00

The recent Realtek audio driver that's being pushed by Windows Update is causing issues on the XPS 8930.

Open Device Manager and find the Realtek entry. Click the button to roll the Realtek driver back to the previous version, and reboot when it's done. That should reinstall the previous Realtek driver and Waves MaxxAudio.

You will have configure Waves to use your specific speaker setup again as I posted in that other thread...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 19th, 2021 09:00

The rollback button is grayed out. That generally would mean the driver hasn't been updated. Yet Device Manager showed the most recent version (6.0.9205.1) after the Windows Update.

Reliability Monitor listed a critical event during the Windows Update that said Windows Update had stopped. That event showed up at the time of the removal and re-install of the Realtek and Maxx AudioPro Audio drivers. I didn't check Device Manager after the WU to see if a roll back button of the Realtek audio driver was an option.

I don't know. I may have to hunt down the old driver and manually install it someway.  

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 19th, 2021 10:00

You could try doing a System Restore to last point that was set before the 6.0.9205.1 driver got installed.  If Realtek and Waves MaxxAudio work after the Restore, I'd suggest you stay with whatever version was installed. NOTE: You may have to install some other Windows Updates again, but avoid Realtek 6.0.9205.1.

If the Restore doesn't help, Open Device Manager, right-click Realtek audio and Uninstall it. And if any "unknown" devices are listed in Device Manager, uninstall them too. Then click Action>Scan for hardware changes and when it's done, and assuming Realtek is listed again, reboot PC and see if audio is working and you can open and configure Waves.

I've asked my Dell tech contacts to provide a direct link to the most recent previous driver Realtek-Audio-Driver_F15XW_WIN_6.0.9107.1_A08.EXE for XPS 8930, so hopefully they'll post the link and/or fix this last driver version which is a real dud...

Post back and let us know how it goes...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 19th, 2021 10:00

Thanks. I'll try those suggestions. By the way, I may be one of a few who did not experience long boot time and/or CPU issues after WU installed the Realtek driver update

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 19th, 2021 18:00

You can always download the previous version 6.0.9107.1 of the Realtek driver from the Microsoft Catalog. Be sure to select the one listed for your version of Win 10.

CAVEAT: I don't know if this will install Waves MaxxAudio Pro or not, but I suspect it will... YRMV!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 20th, 2021 08:00

thanks but . . none of the five drivers listed for Windows 10, Vanadium or later match my Hardware ID. The catalog isn't like it was in the old days. there might be a driver that'll work but it also might not.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 20th, 2021 11:00

[ EDIT] I meant to say Vibranium and not Vanadium. Who knows what they were thinking with two similar sounding 'V' names      

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 20th, 2021 12:00

MS must have lost their collective Vibranium. Who comes up with such names...??

You could always set a System Restore point first if you want to try any of those drivers from their catalog.

I found a link on Dell's site for Realtek driver 6.0.1.8248 which was just prior to 6.0.9107.1, and the page says it's compatible with the XPS 8930. So you might want to give this one a try, if you don't want to risk downloading one from the MS catalog.

Don't know why Dell removed the link to 6.0.9107.1.  IMO, they should always have the link to the last prior version of every driver, in case the newest one is a dud, like the latest Realtek, but they don't listen to me...

I rolled my XPS 8930 back to 6.0.9107.1 even though the new one wasn't causing problems here. So far- Windows Update hasn't forced 6.0.9205.1 on me or even offered it as an "optional" update again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 21st, 2021 15:00

Hey Ron, i appreciate that you've taken the time to follow this. When I first posted, I wasn't aware how many users were affected in some way or another by this 6.0.9205.1 version. Its been a pain for not only XPS 8930 users, but also users of models of XPS laptops. Learned on the popular Ten Forums, and as you may already know, there are really good discussions found on the Realtek audio drivers. There's also a method (tutorial) that's supposed to work for finding the correct HD audio integration.  

If I had to take a guess on why this version flopped and why Dell isn't respondent to your suggestion about posting the previous version on Dell, I'd probably say that its likely because the new universal Audio Driver (aka), the new Windows 10 Driver Type is what Microsoft, Dell and Realtek are gearing up their effort on. The High Definition audio (aka), the old legacy Realtek driver is more or less I think a dying breed. Just my personal belief.

After giving enough thought about this, since I still have speaker sound albeit not as good, plus an inoperable MaxxAudioPro panel, I'm just going to accept this. You and I have basically now a four year old system. Dell, MS, Realtek are moving on. Might as well move on too.         

219 Posts

October 26th, 2021 09:00

@RoHe wrote:

Don't know why Dell removed the link to 6.0.9107.1.  IMO, they should always have the link to the last prior version of every driver, in case the newest one is a dud, like the latest Realtek, but they don't listen to me...

I rolled my XPS 8930 back to 6.0.9107.1 even though the new one wasn't causing problems here. So far- Windows Update hasn't forced 6.0.9205.1 on me or even offered it as an "optional" update again.

I still have the "direct" download links to the 6.0.9107.1 Realtek audio Dell drivers.
it's either this one (9107 A19) or this one (9107 A20)

Dell should tell Waves Inc. to update their Maxxaudio app because the 9205 Dell driver version has the same Maxxaudio app version as the 9107 Dell version and it might be buggy & needs a newer app version

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 26th, 2021 13:00

@erpster05  - Neither of the two Realtek driver links you posted is listed as being compatible with the XPS 8930, even though they may have the same version number as the driver that's compatible with the XPS 8930.

Those two are compatible with various Dell laptop PCs. And they may -or not- include Waves MaxxAudio Pro which is included as part of the Realtek audio driver for the XPS 8930. Anyone who installs either of them does so at their own risk.

The compatible Realtek driver for the XPS 8930 with that version number is:
Realtek-Audio-Driver_F15XW_WIN_6.0.9107.1_A08.EXE and includes Waves.

The compatible version for the XPS 8930 prior to 9107.1 was:
Realtek-Audio-Driver_T55WP_WIN_6.0.1.8248_A07

No Events found!