Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

13 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 23:00

XPS 8920, lost data on backup

When I tried to do a restore point, my computer hung up, and foolishly I thought I would do a backup and restore my win 10 software. So I did the Dell back up and suffered a massive data loss. I had a library I had created called Jobs. In it was all of my folders for 50 some jobs I had photos, plans and other documents in.  When I tried to restore the saved files it was MIA. Gone. Wiped off the face of the earth. Why?

Why didn't the backup software save that library? 

G

258 Posts

June 4th, 2020 06:00

@gerretw 

A rule of backup is that you don't have a backup until you have restored all data from it.

This requires careful implementation of a reliable backup routine that works.  When trying to save data on a failing system, you should use more than one method and verify that each has saved your data to various destinations... before rebuilding your system.

Backing up active files can be complicated and is often made more complicated by backup software that uses proprietary storage schemes and that doesn't work well; and by system and hardware failure.

You probably know best why the backup software didn't save your data.  But search for it thoroughly... it could still be recoverable from somewhere.

GK

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2020 06:00

An example of why backups are needed.  Not for IF it will ever be needed but for WHEN.

Periodic backups (disc image) of the entire drive (all partitions) to a separate drive should be done.  The free (and popular) Macrium Reflect is suggested.  After the restore that you did, Macrium (along with complete drive restoral) will allow you to just access whatever user data you want and copy to the working drive.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

258 Posts

June 4th, 2020 07:00

@fireberd 

Periodic backups (disc image) of the entire drive (all partitions) to a separate drive should be done.

I only backup data using Cobian Backup... automated daily rotating sets (2) spanning 4 weeks plus manually saved sets, define for type of data to minimize backup time and space.  My current full backup of 124.56 GB takes 26m and 32s from internal SSD to HDD (auto/online), and 41m and 56s to USB HDD (manual/offline).  The partial incremental/differential backups take a minute or two.  The backup runs in the background.  The backups are stored as normal files that can be managed with Windows Explorer.

I mostly use backup to quickly recover a file version or to manage a system upgrade.  I've only had to use backup to recover from hardware failure once or twice, perhaps once to recover from something dumb I did.

The best backup scheme is the one that executes regularly and will work when you need it on the equipment you have then.

GK

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 4th, 2020 08:00

I'm a retired Regional LAN/WAN Network Manager for a US government agency.  On our file servers, we initially did a full backup on Monday and Friday (actually 2AM) and incremental Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.   If a server needed to be restored, depending on the day of the week, it took the full backup plus whatever incrementals.  This also caused some confusion with the incrementals.  We changed to full backups every night.  They were bigger backups but we found less chance of confusion and actually less downtime restoring a server image.  

258 Posts

June 4th, 2020 09:00

Adjusting for given conditions is required.  I was once restoring a critical corporate server from tape... when it prompted 'insert next tape', we did but nothing happened... it did not resume the restore.  After waiting and staring at it for 10 minutes, we cycled power on the tape drive and it immediately kicked in and finished the job before morning.  I've never trusted proprietary backup systems since.  If I can't see and manage my data files with native tools, I'm not interested.

OE

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 4th, 2020 12:00

@gerretw   - Stop! Don't do anything further on that PC! The more times you boot and use the PC, the less likely you'll have any chance to get your files back.

Not sure I understand.  Are you saying the files are missing from whatever (external?) drive you stored the backup files on, or just from the internal hard drive or both?  Did you actually restore the OS on the boot drive after the hang?

Exactly which PC model and version of Windows?

Depending on the answers to my questions, there are a number of free (eg, Recuva) and paid "undelete" apps available that might be able to help. Find one that's "portable" (doesn't have to be installed into Windows) and preferably runs directly from a bootable USB stick, NOT one that has to be installed into Windows. 

Some of these may need you to boot the PC to access/run a portable undelete from USB. Others may have the option to run outside Windows after booting from a bootable USB stick.

Download the app using a different PC on to a USB. If necessary, make the USB bootable first using something like Rufus (free) and then download the undelete app onto that stick.

If the app can't run outside Windows, disconnect PC from the internet (eg, unplug the Ethernet cable or turn off WiFi router) and then boot the PC and launch the undelete from the USB stick.You want to minimize the number of new "writes" on the drive to reduce the chances your files get overwritten.

If you created a bootable USB stick, connect it to PC before powering on. Assuming this is a Dell PC, power on and start tapping F12 when you see the splash screen.  When the F12 menu opens look for the option to boot from USB, and when you get to the prompt, run the undelete app from that USB stick.

Hopefully you'll get at least some of your files back...No promises...

13 Posts

June 4th, 2020 16:00

I appreciate the warnings to back up my data. Thanks.

However I still have this problem. A) I could not access my computer after I tried a perfectly normal, go back to the last restore point. B) My mistake was not taking it to a professional to fix the loop it was stuck in. I could not get windows to open up. Perhaps I should have tried Safe Mode but I didn't think of it. C) I tried the Dell restore which involved an auto backup and a new installation. D) when I looked through the Dell backup zip file (SupportAssist_backups) there was none of my Job library there when I opened the F:\support assist backups zip.  The documents and pictures library are there, but not the jobs library.

There is a resx directory but file restore won't open it.  There are 10 z files  ( archive.z01, arcive.z02 etc) but I can't open them either.

Any suggestions?  G

258 Posts

June 4th, 2020 16:00

@gerretw 

Someone familiar with what you've done and/or the files you've created may be able to advise further.

As for an unhealthy system, even when the OS will not operate/boot, you can often remove the storage and install it in a healthy system to copy your data files first before attempting to fix the system or use unfamiliar backup tools.

GK

No Events found!