Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

4 Posts

April 28th, 2019 22:00

4 month old XPS 9570 Thermal trip now no Nvidia dGPU detected

I've got a fairly new (bought December) XPS 9570 UHD model with the 1050Ti dGPU. During normal use (browsing) last week the laptop just turned off and on reboot I was met with a screen mentioning a thermal trip (error 2000-0711). This happened again a few hours later and again a few days later. CPU and system temps at all times were in the 40c region on essentially idle tasks. Room was air-conditioned at about 23c. What I noticed after rebooting is everything was completely fine EXCEPT my dedicated Nvidia GPU has vanished. Nvidia control panel can't find it, drivers won't install and in device manager it only appears if you "enable hidden devices" and shows it as disconnected. Running pre boot diagnostics they all pass but only one video card (intel) is displayed. The same goes for the diagnostics in Windows. The laptop works otherwise normally picture and video editing (so high load for many minutes at a time) but on the integrated video only. As a last resort I've done a cloud restore of Windows but the same thing - no Nvidia GPU. Is it likely the thing has fried or is there something else I can try? Failing that I guess I need to take it to a service centre and be stuck without a work laptop for a while which is at best inconvenient. Has anyone come across this issue before? This happened on bios 1.7 but have now upgraded to 1.9 with no change. Standard Windows 10 install etc etc and all working perfectly until the thermal event.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

April 29th, 2019 02:00

Check if the cooling fins happen to be totally clogged by accumulated dust - follow the online manual how to remove the backplate and possibly the fans. 

Otherwise, it could be a cooling issue due to bad thermal paste or maybe a bad heatsink. Your 9570 should be still under warranty? 

4 Posts

April 29th, 2019 02:00

Ive checked that - fans are all clear, very little dust. All the fans run normal RPMs and CPU idle temps about 40c or so. Its capable of running under full load for extended periods without tripping or turning off (when rendering videos or photo exports).

At the time of the trips it was idling on the desktop or browsing the web so low temperatures and minimal load. I dont think this is a CPU issue as the Nvidia dGPU has disappeared after the event and no bios flashes or reinstalls can get it detected or working again.

It looks to me as if possibly this trip event was the dGPU

Yes its under waranty but i really dont want to have to do it unless desperate as its a PC i use for work and i cant really be without it for 2-3 weeks.

No Events found!