Start a Conversation

Unsolved

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 6th, 2022 11:00

Are SupportAssist and Dell Update reliable to show relevant updates?

I posted this a couple of months ago in the  Software > SupportAssist for PCs forum, but it got no replies. So, I'll try here.

Over many years I've found that entering the Service Tag on Dell Drivers & Downloads page is unreliable. For the many Dells that I've worked on, it:

1. shows updates that don't apply, for components that the computer doesn't have
  2. hides updates that do apply, for components that are installed on the computer

I got in the habit to enter just the model name/number without the Service Tag. I browse the list looking for updates relevant to the hardware in front of me. At least that way I can find all relevant updates.

So, are Dell SupportAssist and Dell Update more reliable than entering the Service Tag on Dell Drivers & Downloads page?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 29th, 2022 12:00

@filbert  I’ve had the same experience with Service Tag entry on the Dell Support page. Sometimes it will hide applicable updates, and other times it will show non-applicable updates. So when I need to download drivers manually, I just enter the system model and sift through everything — although even that has gotten more difficult with the semi-recent website redesign. Updates used to be organized into collapsible categories, but now they’re in a list that is sorted by Release Date by default, so you might see several revisions of some driver before you get to the latest release of some other driver.

But on the plus side, Dell Update is reliable. I haven’t used SupportAssist since Dell seems to have built a bunch of extra stuff into that application that is of no interest or use to me and I remember reading that SupportAssist actually stops working when your system warranty expires. But Dell Update works even on out-of-warranty systems and is purely an update application — basically Windows Update for drivers and firmware. That’s exactly what I wanted, and it serves its purpose.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

September 29th, 2022 15:00

@jphughan is spot on with his advice. My problem with SA is that updates are auto installed and that includes BIOS updates. And a number of user posts in the forum are regarding problems with BIOS updates they did not need or were required. With Dell update you can see the list of available updates and only select the ones that you want installed. This web page at The Windows Club has more information.

No Events found!