Unsolved

K

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 15th, 2019 10:00

BSOD: Driver Verifier DMA Violation with TB16 Docks

Hi,

We have XPS 15s that have started blue screening all the time lately when they are connected to their TB16 docks.  Some are 9560s and some are brand new 9570s.  I've seen older posts about the driver of the ASMedia USB item but I've checked that and we seem to be up to date with 1.16.55.1 or 1.16.54.1 depending on the machine.

I have run Dell Command Update to make sure all the drivers, BIOS, etc are up to date.

I have run the TB16 updater program to make sure all the stuff inside the Dock is up to date.

We still get periodic blue screens.  Anyone have any idea what else we can check to figure out why this is happening?

Thanks.

1 Message

February 17th, 2019 09:00

I have been having this same issue with my 9560 and TB16. I notice is specifically when I turn on my Yamaha audio mixer which has a USB output I get a blue screen DMA Violation. I've reinstalled the driver associated with the device but still continue to have the issue.

If I bypass the TB16 and use a standard powered USB hub, no problems. This of course is only my temporary solution as I need my dock to be able to operate properly.

After the blue screen I ran scans and everything passed. This is VERY frustrating so hopefully someone has a solution. Any assistance from the masses would be greatly appreciated.

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 17th, 2019 10:00

If nothing else, I guess I'll call Pro Support tomorrow and open a ticket.  I can't have all my users crashing throughout the day.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2019 02:00

Exactly the same problem here, it started this morning after I installed the following updates from Dell yesterday evening:

- Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - A04 - 232 MB - Recommended - Installed

- ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver - A11 - 19 MB - Recommended - Installed

- Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console - A00 - 52 MB - Recommended - Installed

This morning I also installed Dell XPS15 9570, 1.7.0 System BIOS - 1.7.0
(I skipped Dell XPS15 9570, 1.6.0 System BIOS - 1.6.0),
but that did not help.

I got a Support Pro Plus contract in place, will see how Dell can help.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2019 02:00

Solution seems to be to set the Security Level for the Thunderbolt Adapter to 'No Security': Access BIOS (F2) at startup > System Configuration > TB Adapter Configuration: set Security Level to No Security. Works fine with latest version of ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller 1.16.55.1 (A11)

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

I have the TPM stuff set to No Security because having to approve the things is so annoying and causes trouble.

I have done the following:

1) Install DCU 3 and applied all updates

2) Downloaded the Dock Firmware Updater and applied all updates

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7tj1h

3) Double checked the ASMedia device to verify the driver is 1.16.54/55.1

This seems to mostly resolve the issue but I am still tracking it.  If I don't hear of any more crashes in a day or two I guess I'll continue deploying our new laptops.

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

And just like that, the guy sitting on the other side of my cube wall just crashed again.  Time to call Dell.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 04:00

Solution with BIOS setting doesnt help, I have "No security" and getting BSOD almost every 2-3 days.

I think it has something with the latest driver ASMedia USB Extended Host Controller Driver, but not sure.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2019 04:00

Hello, I have the same issue - 9560 + TB16 and Driver Verifier DMA Violation periodicaly every 2-3 days. Not sure what is cause, NB just restart without any reason (I am not connecting or disconnecting something) Any response from DELL Support ? I have no PRO

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 05:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Did the issue start lately after a BIOS or driver update? Has the system worked fine with it docked & without the bluescreen?

What is the Bluescreen error? Does the system restart or shut down after the error?

Do you see any entries on event viewer?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

9 Posts

February 26th, 2019 01:00

We get the same issues here, plenty of users complaining. Dell is really doing very bad work lately with their TB16. We will stop renewing our hardware if this does not stop ASAP. Our IT Department looks so bad since we deployed the TB16 and frustration level rises from day to day.

Worst choise ever to switch to that Thunderbolt Docks!!

@SreejithR 

It happens to 7280, 7480, 7290, 7490 latest BIOS, latest drivers. Without the dockingstation the devices run rock solid.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 26th, 2019 05:00

Could anyone please share the following details. I will have this escalated to our product team.

System model-
BIOS Version
ASMedia version –
Exact Bluescreen error
Event viewer error if any -

Also for my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

4 Posts

February 26th, 2019 10:00

We are having this same exact issue with the WD15 docks. We've had a ticket with Dell "escalated" for weeks and still no solution for this. Its seems like such a small issue but it's crippling our firm..

3 Posts

February 27th, 2019 10:00

Same issue here

System model- Latitude 7490
BIOS Version - 1.8.0
ASMedia version –ASMedia 1.16.5.1
Exact Bluescreen error - Driver Verifier DMA Violation
Event viewer error if any - 

3 Posts

February 27th, 2019 10:00

Found in another forum.

Unknown value - although I haven't seen a blue screen yet.

-------

If on ASMEDIA driver 1.16.55.1

Remove the following entry at registry key (make a backup copy first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\asmtxhci\Parameters

DmaRemappingCompatible

Reboot

1 Message

February 27th, 2019 12:00

I'm experiencing the same issue right now with a XPS 9570 and the TB16.

I've contacted support and opened up a ticket. They've tried rolling back some drivers, updating the dock firmware, updating laptop BIOS. Nothing has resolved it yet. The issue only happens when connected to the dock. I can't pin-point it to anything. It seems to just happen randomly. I get the same DMA violation error with no additional info. 

Dell's next suggestion is to re-install the OS. I'm not convinced this is going to resolve the issue. 

Has anyone else found a solution yet?

No Events found!