Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

April 7th, 2018 14:00

Battery drainage on XPS 13 9360

I fully charged my two days old XPS 13 9360 to 100% two days ago.  I have not used it since this morning (one day later), and i noticed the battery has dropped to 86% over the two days while the laptop was completely powered off (unplugged).  is this normal?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 7th, 2018 14:00

If the system was actually shutdown, no, it is not normal. If it was in some type of modern standby, it is normal.
If you do not know if your system does modern standby, run the command below and copy and paste the top part of the result.
powercfg /a

3 Posts

April 9th, 2018 09:00

Thanks your info,

powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is not supported.

What do you thinks about?

Thanks for your help

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 9th, 2018 11:00

Yep, it is a modern standby system.  My system used to burn 1-2% per hour when in modern standby, when the display was off.  One way to stop that is to put into hibernation after some period of time, say 60 minutes.

The system was designed to behave as a phone.  If it is in modern standby, you can tap the space bar and it will pop back up.  While the display is off, a small part of the system remains active and can do certain tasks.  Certain types of Apps, like Groove Music, will continue to function, perhaps even with the lid closed.  But desktop apps like iTunes, will suspend.

So, decide how you like to use you system and put the options in a configuration best for you.  There are places which describe modern standby, but it has been evolving so watch the date of your info. 

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby-in-Windows-10

3 Posts

April 9th, 2018 13:00

Thanks you so much.

one question: how to stop  modern standby  ??

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 9th, 2018 18:00

:) Might be best to understand it and get it to work for you. Setting the system to hibernate in the shortest time cuts down of power drain.. But 1 or 2% in 8 hours should not be a problem.

11 Posts

April 10th, 2018 22:00

Yes—by default, the XPS's Sleep mode is actually something called Modern Standby (also known as Connected Standby). 

See, Microsoft has decided our PCs should be more like smartphones. They want to be able to install updates and keep their Metro apps "refreshed" (current) even when we think we've suspended them.

So even though you think you're putting your XPS into Sleep—and it still says "Sleep", BTW—you're actually just turning off your display, pretty much. Your network connection stays on, as do most of your devices. That's why your battery's lasting only a day, rather than several days to a week, as you'd expect.

I found out about this because my USB mouse, keyboard and cooling pad were staying on when I thought I'd put my XPS in Sleep mode. I called Dell, but the agent had no idea what was making it do that. He suggested I use Hibernation instead. But it takes my XPS at least 30 seconds to resume from Hibernation. Sleep would resume nearly instantly.

A few days later he emailed me and said it was "normal behavior" now to leave the system on in Sleep mode, but he couldn't explain why. He also couldn't explain why I (or anyone) would want to leave my portable PC running when I wasn't using it.

The good news is, you can turn off Modern Standby. Just follow the directions in this IT Pro Today article:

www.itprotoday.com/management-mobility/disabling-windows-connected-standby

Once you've made that registry edit, reboot your system and normal Sleep should be back. You'll also get back several of the usual settings in Power Options (e.g. USB Selective Suspend) that MS hid because they would've interfered with your always-running system. Wacky, huh?

Cheers, A.

6 Posts

August 17th, 2020 00:00

Unfortunately, this tweak does not work on latest Windows 10 2004

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 17th, 2020 04:00

Is the system in sleep mode?  Below are some troubleshooting links to resolve the issue. I would also leave the laptop plugged in when off as well.

XPS 13 (9343 / 9360 / 9370): Excessive Battery Drain While Sleeping

Dell XPS 9360 and 9350 battery drainage when a USB-A device is connected to the right-hand side USB ...

How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues

11 Posts

August 18th, 2020 02:00

Adrian G001> Is the system in sleep mode? Below are some troubleshooting links to resolve the issue...

It doesn't seem like you've actually read this thread. Yes, the PC's in Sleep mode—that's exactly the problem. Microsoft has changed the way Sleep mode operates. Rather than just using a trickle of power to preserve the current session in RAM (the traditional behaviour), this new, so-caled "Modern Standby" leaves most of the PC's components on, draining the battery. It's because Microsoft decided our PCs should be more like smartphones, recovering from standby instantly (and, in some cases, even remaining online).

They didn't give us a choice, either. If a system's new enough to "support" Modern Standby, it's now been automatically implemented in a recent Windows update.

And what a drag! When we don't want to leave our laptops running for short periods, we can no longer just close their lids and use Standby (AKA Sleep) mode, because:

• We risk overheating (you shouldn't leave laptop components powered up with the lid closed); and/or

• Draining the battery (e.g. if using it in transit).

We must now always use Hibernation mode—saving the entire session to disk every time, and adding a considerable wait to recovery time. It's a huge step backwards in portable computing.

Adrian G0001> I would also leave the laptop plugged in when off as well.

Gee, really—plugging your computer into AC keeps its battery from running down? I had no idea! Obviously, that solves the entire problem. (LOL) Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent it from overheating.

The wackiest thing is, most Windows 10 users don't even know this change was made. I found out only because my USB peripherals were suddenly staying on when I closed my laptop's lid. (Did I mention that?)

It's a ridiculous, sneaky, wasteful, inconvenient, unnecessary change masquerading as some kind of improvement—and I don't know why Dell went along with it. They didn't do their customers any kind of service.

July 15th, 2021 12:00

You need to use the dword PlatformAoAcOverride set to 0 

The CsEnabled does nothing as far as I could see

11 Posts

July 17th, 2021 00:00

Robert L Kelly > You need to use the dword PlatformAoAcOverride set to 0... The CsEnabled does nothing as far as I could see...

You're absolutely right! The "CsEnabled" registry hack stopped working a couple of Windows 10 versions ago—but I'm amazed and pleased to find that the PlatformAoAcOverride trick does indeed work! (I just tried it with Windows 10 version 21H1.)

It's great having regular "S3" Standby mode back—I no longer have to use Hibernation every time I step away from my PC. Sure appreciate it!

For anyone else who'd like to do this, the process is described here:

borncity.com/win/2020/11/26/windows-10-v2004-cant-deactivate-modern-standby/

...and here are the actual steps:

1. Run Regedit as an Administrator (Start menu > type "regedit" > in the results that appear, right-click "regedit", then click "Run as Administrator")

2. In Regedit, go to this registry key: HK Local Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

3. Right-click in the right side of the window, point to "New"; then in the pop-up menu, click "DWORD 32-bit value".

4. A new entry appears in the window. Name it PlatformAoAcOverride (those are all letter O's, not zeros) and leave its value (at the right) at "0".

5. Reboot your system. Normal Standby mode should now be available. To confirm, open a command prompt window (Start Menu > type cmd and press Enter), then enter the command powercfg /a and press Enter. "Standby (S3)" (regular Sleep mode) should now be available, while "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)" (the so-called "Modern Standby") should now be unavailable.

:?)

No Events found!