Xecura
1 Copper

Battery drainage on XPS 13 9360

I fully charged my two days old XPS 13 9360 to 100% two days ago.  I have not used it since this morning (one day later), and i noticed the battery has dropped to 86% over the two days while the laptop was completely powered off (unplugged).  is this normal?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Re: Battery drainage on XPS 13 9360

If the system was actually shutdown, no, it is not normal. If it was in some type of modern standby, it is normal.
If you do not know if your system does modern standby, run the command below and copy and paste the top part of the result.
powercfg /a

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Xecura
1 Copper

Thanks your info,

powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Connectivity in standby is not supported.

What do you thinks about?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Yep, it is a modern standby system.  My system used to burn 1-2% per hour when in modern standby, when the display was off.  One way to stop that is to put into hibernation after some period of time, say 60 minutes.

The system was designed to behave as a phone.  If it is in modern standby, you can tap the space bar and it will pop back up.  While the display is off, a small part of the system remains active and can do certain tasks.  Certain types of Apps, like Groove Music, will continue to function, perhaps even with the lid closed.  But desktop apps like iTunes, will suspend.

So, decide how you like to use you system and put the options in a configuration best for you.  There are places which describe modern standby, but it has been evolving so watch the date of your info. 

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Mechanics/Understanding-Surface-Power-Management-with-Modern-Standby...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

Xecura
1 Copper

Thanks you so much.

one question: how to stop  modern standby  ??

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

🙂 Might be best to understand it and get it to work for you. Setting the system to hibernate in the shortest time cuts down of power drain.. But 1 or 2% in 8 hours should not be a problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ander333
1 Nickel

Yes—by default, the XPS's Sleep mode is actually something called Modern Standby (also known as Connected Standby). 

See, Microsoft has decided our PCs should be more like smartphones. They want to be able to install updates and keep their Metro apps "refreshed" (current) even when we think we've suspended them.

So even though you think you're putting your XPS into Sleep—and it still says "Sleep", BTW—you're actually just turning off your display, pretty much. Your network connection stays on, as do most of your devices. That's why your battery's lasting only a day, rather than several days to a week, as you'd expect.

I found out about this because my USB mouse, keyboard and cooling pad were staying on when I thought I'd put my XPS in Sleep mode. I called Dell, but the agent had no idea what was making it do that. He suggested I use Hibernation instead. But it takes my XPS at least 30 seconds to resume from Hibernation. Sleep would resume nearly instantly.

A few days later he emailed me and said it was "normal behavior" now to leave the system on in Sleep mode, but he couldn't explain why. He also couldn't explain why I (or anyone) would want to leave my portable PC running when I wasn't using it.

The good news is, you can turn off Modern Standby. Just follow the directions in this IT Pro Today article:

www.itprotoday.com/management-mobility/disabling-windows-connected-standby

Once you've made that registry edit, reboot your system and normal Sleep should be back. You'll also get back several of the usual settings in Power Options (e.g. USB Selective Suspend) that MS hid because they would've interfered with your always-running system. Wacky, huh?

Cheers, A.