Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2020 08:00

Best way to connect to a external 2k monitor

Hi

I've an XPS15 9560 and because my monitor has a problem I've decided to buy an external 2k monitor (Benq PD2700Q). I was wondering what is the best way to connect my laptop to the external monitor and take advantage of the high resolution and accurate colours of this monitor. Should I go for an HDMI/HDMI cable or USB-C/DP or USB-C/mini DP? If the DP port is the option what should I look for when buying a cable? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 30th, 2020 09:00

@cmpb  On that system, all of the options you listed will perform identically. All display outputs on that system are controlled by the same GPU, both the built-in HDMI output and the USB-C output support that resolution, and HDMI and DIsplayPort are both digital signals, so they will both look identical.

As for cables, pretty much any HDMI cable can handle that resolution, in fact most HDMI cables these days are “High Speed / 18 Gbps” cables that can even do 4K 60 Hz. And on the DisplayPort side, that resolution has been supported since DisplayPort first arrived, and even DisplayPort 1.2 that supports 4K 60 Hz has existed for a long time now. Any USB-C to DisplayPort cable would work because DisplayPort 1.2 is the minimum standard for USB-C anyway.

On a side note: I know that you specified the display model here to reduce the chances of confusion, but fyi "2K resolution" as you specified in your thread title and post is a dangerous thing to say because so many people use it incorrectly -- including you in this case -- and sometimes the difference can matter for technical reasons, including situations like this where different connectivity setups allow different amounts of display bandwidth. 2K resolution is technically a film resolution of 2048x1080, but when used to refer to "consumer" resolutions, it actually refers to the nearest and slightly lower consumer equivalent, which is 1920x1080, aka Full HD or 1080p -- because 1920 is very close to 2000, i.e. 2K, horizontal pixels. Similarly, 4K is also technically a film resolution of 4096x2160 pixels, but when used in the consumer world refers to the slightly lower resolution of 3840x2160, aka Ultra HD or 2160p. The resolution you have is rightfully called 1440p or QHD (or I guess you could call it 2.5K, but nobody does), and using either of those terms would make it much clearer to everyone what you're talking about. And QHD is only one extra character to type than 2K.

3 Posts

May 20th, 2020 14:00

Thanks a lot that was quite useful

No Events found!