Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

67 Posts

December 22nd, 2021 03:00

Brand New Battery Design/Full Capacity vs. Rated Capacity - Dell XPS 15 9510

I have seen this in the past with brand new laptop, but I have also had laptop batteries where the capacity actually exceeded the advertised.  On my brand new 9510 I just used HWMonitor to verify that my battery had no wear out of the box.  Fortunately, it didn't.  However, the battery is advertised as 86Whr.  My design and full charge capacity are only showing 84Whr.  Is this normal? I read it could be to prevent overvolting and that after a few weeks of use, it may actually increase.  Is this true?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2021 04:00

Yes, it is.  It can take a few charge-discharge cycles for the cells to reach peak capacity.

67 Posts

December 25th, 2021 10:00

Thanks...by charge-discharge cycles, how low do people discharge?  I had a bad experience on an older 9350 where, when it started to show wear, I decided to discharge until the machine shut off to re-calibrate the battery.  Instead, doing the full discharge added even more wear to the battery.  I ended up replacing it to restore capacity.  I also set my charging setting to "Standard" so as not to add additional heat and wear to the battery.

No Events found!