Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:36

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 5th, 2018 09:00

If you have 2x 4K displays both running at 60 Hz, then there isn't enough bandwidth left for another 1080p display to run off the dock.  You can keep using the built-in panel if you want, but note that regardless of resolution, you would not be able to run three displays on the dock AND the built-in panel simultaneously, because the Intel GPU only supports 3 total independent displays.  To exceed that, you'd need to resort to things like DisplayLink adapters, but those have a number of drawbacks.

And fyi, if you go to support.dell.com, go to Choose my product, and select Electronics & Accessories > Docks > TB16, then select the link for the manual, you can find the User's Manual that will show you the allowed display combinations and maximum resolutions.  I believe it's toward the very end.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 5th, 2018 12:00

One option I forgot to suggest is that you could run dual 4K displays at 60 Hz from the dock and your Asus 1080p display simultaneously if you connect the latter to the system's HDMI output, since that would not require using any display bandwidth on the dock to drive it, although that's obviously an extra cable.  However, once again note that in this configuration, you would NOT also be able to use the built-in panel.

No Events found!