Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2022 15:00

Can't download XPS 13 Plus Recovery Image Ubuntu

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the Recovery Image for Ubuntu for my XPS 9320 (ordered with Ubuntu).

Reason is, i can't use the webcam without the proprietary driver from dell, which is not available in the official ubuntu kernel.

Steps i tried:

1. Visit https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/linux  entering correct Service-Tag brings Error: "Recovery image not available for your Service Tag." [service tag redacted in screenshot

Screenshot from 2022-06-14 23-55-15.png

2. Run SupportAssist | Bios Connect to download OS Recovery Image.

It downloads 4/4 files but then stops at 1 seconds countdown, before the Reboot. Computer can only be shut down with Power Button.

PXL_20220613_201232412.jpg

3. Installing Windows 10 just to install Dell OS Recovery Tool

Entering Service-Tag or using the automatic System Recognition (which identifies my model and service tag correctly) ends up in loading loop.

Screenshot from 2022-06-15 00-12-36.png

Am i missing something here?

PS: I have tested Step 1 and 3 with a service tag from a previous xps (windows license) i bought. The tool and the website definitely work on my end. It just seems that Dell doesn't like my Service-Tag or something.

Regards,

Daniel

• 

25.1K Posts

June 14th, 2022 15:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

2 Posts

September 10th, 2022 06:00

I also have DELL XPS plus 9320 with ubuntu and today it just boots to a Dell HTTP(S) Boot screen connects to wifi then fales repeated to download a recovery image.

I have premium 24/7 support and the telephone support lady just told me they cant support the Ubuntu OS only window and hardware. I said but you sold me the machine 2 months ago with Ubuntu OS on it and the premium support. she said sorry. I can help you if it doesnt boot to windows we can reinstall the system. I said how can it reboot to windows its an Ubuntu machine, GOODBYE!!!!!

So now I have a £1400 machine thats locked up with my data hopefully still on and I cant do anything.

THis was my 3rd Dell it will be the last.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 15th, 2022 03:00

ramondillo,

I see that our Dell Agents have been trying to contact you.  Please respond to the private messages from us.  We are here to assist in getting your issue resolved.

July 1st, 2023 22:00

Hi. I ordered my DELL XPS 13 PLUS (9320). I needed it to be dual boot (Windows and Linux) So i ordered the Windows version so I would have a paid-for official copy of Windows with the intention of installing Ubuntu later.

However, the Canonical Ubuntu and every version and fix I have tried is missing support for sound input and output.

I cannot access the DELL Ubuntu download at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/drivers/osiso/linux because my service tag is for the Windows pre-installed version. DELL technical support recommended returning the laptop for a refund. Something I am unable to do as I have left the UK to live on a remote Greek island.

I'm completely stuck and very frustrated.

DELL need to make the necessary drivers freely available for updating the canonical Linux

No Events found!