Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 5th, 2019 04:00

Can't enable TRIM on my Dell XPS 13 L322X SSD?

I can't enable TRIM on my Dell XPS 13 L322X SSD?

I ran in command prompt as administrator: 
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0 

I got this message when I tried to enable it in Command Prompt.

Command Prompt messageCommand Prompt message

This is a six year old XPS that was running Win 7, which I upgraded to Win 10 Pro.

Dell XPS 13 L322X laptop
Service Tag (S/N)
Express Service Code:

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2019 09:00

The "Access is denied" error is because you didn't start Command Prompt with elevated privileges, i.e. you need to right-click it and select "Run as administrator".  When you do that, the Command Prompt title bar will say "Administrator: Command Prompt" rather than just "Command Prompt".  However, the query command you ran first indicates that the setting you're trying to set to 0 is already set to 0, so setting it to 0 again won't change anything.  TRIM is already enabled.  The double negative wording makes it a bit confusing, but the setting is called "DisableDeleteNotify".  When that setting is disabled, it means that delete notifications are enabled, which means TRIM is on.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 5th, 2019 15:00

I ran Command Prompt as "Run as administrator" and got this:EnableTRIM_DellXPS-13_Win10b.jpg

So I'm good then?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2019 16:00

@william66, unfortunately images are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators until they get "approved" for broader viewing, so I can't yet see the new image you posted, but as I already explained above, you were good even before you did anything because TRIM was already enabled.  There was absolutely no need to run a command to set an option the way the system clearly indicated it was already set.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

April 6th, 2019 20:00

@jphughan wrote:

@william66, unfortunately images are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators until they get "approved" for broader viewing, so I can't yet see the new image you posted,

So I'm the only one that could see the image/screenshot I posted??? That **bleep**. Just how long does it take for them to look at a photo???

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 7th, 2019 09:00

@william66 wrote:

@jphughan wrote:

@william66, unfortunately images are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators until they get "approved" for broader viewing, so I can't yet see the new image you posted,

So I'm the only one that could see the image/screenshot I posted??? That **bleep**. Just how long does it take for them to look at a photo???

It's visible now.  And yes, it confirms that you successfully set DisableDeleteNotify to 0, which was how it was already set.  So you're good, just as you already were.

No Events found!