Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

November 9th, 2018 03:00

Charging new Dell XPS 13 9350 via thunderbold usb-c

My new charger is supposed to be 45W, 20V 2.25A.

When I connect it with the pc on, windows says "connected but not charging, 95%" but Dell power management says "Connected, fully charged". I disconnect it and Dell power management jumps to the 95% my battery actually has.

If I check battery and adapter in the BIOS or diagnosis, both say ok, and the charger is recognised as a 45W, but the battery just says 95%, idle.

If I reboot the computer or connect the charger when it's turned off, first windows says 100% too, as well as Dell power. Only when I disconnect it and reconnect windows start to recognise the 95%.

Not a single time the battery led has turned on, not with the computer on and neither when powering up, nor being off, nor when I just connect the charger.

I'm now sure what's going on, or why the battery is being misread so much. I hope someone can help me to make my computer charge!

• 

17K Posts

November 9th, 2018 07:00

test

• 

17K Posts

November 9th, 2018 07:00

Liesz,

I am not sure what you mean by using the AC Adapter  through the USB Type- C port when it should be plugged into the left side power adapter port.

1. What happened to the originally shipped AC adapter?
  2. Why isn't the AC adapter plugged into the left side power adapter port?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 9th, 2018 10:00

@DELL-Jesse L wrote:

Liesz,

I am not sure what you mean by using the AC Adapter  through the USB Type- C port when it should be plugged into the left side power adapter port.

1. What happened to the originally shipped AC adapter?
  2. Why isn't the AC adapter plugged into the left side power adapter port?

The XPS 13 9350 (and many other newer Dell systems) support charging over USB-C via the USB Power Delivery industry standard, which is why it can charge while connected to docks like the WD15 and TB16.  There are a variety of third-party chargers on the market that can provide the XPS 13's required 45W and comply with the USB Power Delivery standard, which would allow them to be used with the XPS 13.  Even Dell makes a 45W USB-C charger.  I have a Nekteck 65W USB-C charger that I use just fine with my XPS 13 9350, Latitude 7480, and a few other non-Dell devices.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 9th, 2018 10:00

The XPS 13 by default uses an "Adaptive" battery charging mode.  This is configurable in the BIOS.  Basically, in adaptive mode the system watches how often you're connected to a power source and will adapt its charging strategy accordingly.  For example, if you frequently use your system on battery power, it will make sure it's always topped up whenever possible.  However, if it sees you spend a lot of time connected to an AC adapter, it might limit its maximum charge level and/or allow the battery to self-discharge (i.e. use the AC adapter only to run the system, not keep the battery topped up) in order to increase the long-term lifespan of the battery, since it's not good for batteries to be kept at 100% charge all the time.  That's why Tesla vehicles default to only charging themselves to 80% unless you specifically select "Max Range Mode", for example, and even that selection only applies to a single charge cycle, then it resets back to 80%.  That might account for why your system essentially reports "fully charged at 95%, and not charging any further".  I'm not sure why the reported charge level would drop from 100% to 95% simply by disconnecting the AC adapter.

9 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 07:00

@jphughan I understand that XPS 13 9350 charges just fine with 45w (20V/2.25a). Do you have any idea if it charges at 30W (20V/1.5a)? :BigSmile:

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 10:00

@XVIII wrote:

@jphughan I understand that XPS 13 9350 charges just fine with 45w (20V/2.25a). Do you have any idea if it charges at 30W (20V/1.5a)? :BigSmile:

@XVIII  as it happens, I have an XPS 13 9350 and a 30W USB-C charger right here with me.  I connected them up and checked the Battery Information screen in the BIOS Setup.  It correctly identified the power source as 30W and said the battery was charging.  When I rebooted, I saw a warning that I had connected an undersized power source and therefore that the battery would charge more slowly and that the system might continue drawing from its internal battery under peak load.  I've also found that at least some systems will throttle their performance when connected to undersized power supplies because they assume you'd rather that they continue working at lower speed indefinitely rather than drawing on the internal battery to maintain peak performance and ultimately dying on you.  So yes, a 30W power source seems to work for the most part, and if you'd only want to use that in order to charge the system while you're not using it, then it should work perfectly fine as long as you're ok with a slower charging speed.  That said, 60W USB-C adapters are pretty inexpensive, in many cases physically small, and will support far more gadgets than 30W sources, so you might want to consider getting one anyway.  Here is one that I just bought, and here is another one that can provide up to 60W out of either port, or if you have something connected to both ports simultaneously, it will provide up to 30W from each port simultaneously.  Unfortunately that second adapter can't do splits like 45W + 15W, but I still find it useful.  In fact, that second adapter is what I used to test this 30W scenario for you. :)

9 Posts

July 4th, 2019 02:00

@jphughan That's so lovely to know - thank you for all the information you've provided. They are of great help to me!

The reason I asked is my desire to find the smallest portable wall charger for all my USB-C devices when travelling. I personally have been using 2 PD chargers from Aukey (PA-Y10 for travelling & PA-Y12 for home usage) but I am tempted to find an even smaller one.

I've also checked out your recommended products and I have to say I am a fan of the new GaN chargers from Anker as well. I'll definitely snag one once the prices are more reasonable here in Singapore.

Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 4th, 2019 07:00

@XVIII wrote:

@jphughan That's so lovely to know - thank you for all the information you've provided. They are of great help to me!

The reason I asked is my desire to find the smallest portable wall charger for all my USB-C devices when travelling. I personally have been using 2 PD chargers from Aukey (PA-Y10 for travelling & PA-Y12 for home usage) but I am tempted to find an even smaller one.

I've also checked out your recommended products and I have to say I am a fan of the new GaN chargers from Anker as well. I'll definitely snag one once the prices are more reasonable here in Singapore.

Cheers!

@XVIII  happy to help!  If you're optimizing for travel, one thing you might want to consider is getting a "one charger to rule them all" instead of a bunch of small chargers.  I just got this charger recently for my travel, which is perfect for the devices I have.  I can charge my laptop from the 60W USB-C port, fast charge my iPhone or portable battery pack the 18W USB-C port, and then I still have two other USB-A ports for things like my smartwatch, wireless headphones, etc.  I don't know if it's available in Singapore though.

But if you want things as portable as possible, the two best options in the Anker GaN realm are the PowerPort 1 PD here and the PowerPort III mini here.  The first one is smaller, but the second one has a power plug that can flip upward, so it might be easier to pack even if it's a bit larger.

9 Posts

July 4th, 2019 08:00

@jphughan That is true. I've been looking into chargers with detachable cable cords like the Satechi you mentioned. Got to love that product for having 2 USB-C ports and would have gotten it if not for the prohibitive price(not inclusive of a USD$20 for shipping cost!).

Anker GaN series definitely fits my criteria. I will snag one if there is a sale and till then, I'll keep on using my Aukey PA-Y10 which is very capable for its size.
UK plug type never makes it that portable. Look at those pointy legs!UK plug type never makes it that portable. Look at those pointy legs!

If Anker makes a foldable pin for UK plug type, I'll be totally sold. Apple's implementation of it is absolutely sleek.
Fit's my needs. Too bad it is 18w only.Fit's my needs. Too bad it is 18w only.

No Events found!