Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

August 6th, 2019 00:00

DELL Premier Color eats a LOT of resources!

I've noticed my laptop, XPS 9560, with 32GB memory has become a bit sluggish as I run a lot of virtualization on it but when I checked it is Premier Color that hogs a lot of resources. Diretcly after reboot I have it at about 15% CPU and 6-7GB memory.

It goes a bit up and down but the lowest is at about 10% CPU and 4 GB memory and the highest I've seen it gor is 40% CPU and 12 GB.

When I remember I just kill it after reboot and I haven't noticed anything not working after that so is it really needed any why is it taking so much resources?

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

August 6th, 2019 02:00

Thanks! Yeah, as I don't notice any difference between running and not running DPC I have not uninstalled it... I mostly do code development and hardly do any graphics so no worries about some colors looking off...

489 Posts

August 6th, 2019 02:00

DPC shouldn't need so much resources, but it is known to often have issues. They tend to start due to incompatibility with newly released Windows feature updates, and tend to get fixed about the time when the next Windows feature update ships. 

DPC is mainly used for toning down the oversaturated colours resulting from using normal non-color-managed Windows programs with a wide-gamut display. You don't need DPC if using color-managed programs for anything color-related you do. Best if using a hardware calibrator and enclosed software (DPC must be removed for it to work). You can also extract the color profiles from the DPC program folder. You can also try toning down colors in the Intel graphics control panel. 

100 Posts

January 25th, 2021 07:00

On my XPS 9500, Premier Color activates high CPU (5%) and errors in WMI Provider Host.

At least the process id in the error matches Premier Color.  

I have disabled Premier Color, and restarted WMI service

No Events found!