Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2018 06:00

XPS 15 9560, Plug in AC, battery light (on front) turns on momentarily, then off

My Dell XPS 15 9560 is having the classic Plugged In, Not charging problem; it won't charge at all. Once plugging in my AC adapter, the light at the front turns on momentarily and then turns off, it will not turn on until I move the plug around a little bit, or re-plug it in (in which it does the same thing, light on, light off). I'm about 80% sure it's due to the insulator falling off the DC-in plug, as now when I plug it in with the AC, it doesn't fit nice and tight; I only realised the insulator fell off not long ago. I've gone around this discussion area, and seen a couple fixes (toothpick in the DC, to realign the prongs); though this hasn't worked. I've also tried various software fixes (uninstalling drivers, checking bios, doing the flea thing [without taking battery]), to no avail. Right now it's out of battery completely, so I can't do too much without spending more money on it (getting a USB-c charger as a temp option). I'm currently trying to contact Dell, though my warranty is set for a country I am not in (I live in UK, warranty is for Australia). I'm beginning to think my only option is to replace the DC-in myself, possibly voiding my warranty. Though I hardly think it's fair that 4-6 months of owning a laptop, the laptop cannot work because a little piece of plastic has fallen off,  on top of that I had not cause this issue to happen. Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 1st, 2018 07:00

As long as you don't break any thing then your warranty will not be void. Before attempting to remove DC jack, I suggest you read the service manual thoroughly before opening computer and attempting to remove DC  jack.

Support for XPS 15 9560 | Manuals & documents | Dell US

I also suggest the watching the video below as well.

Dell XPS 15-9550 (P56F001) DC Jack How-To Video Tutorial

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 1st, 2018 09:00

From your diagnosis, it's pretty clear the DC in jack needs replacement.  Obtaining warranty repair on this might not be possible even in the country of purchase - support might well deem it accidental damage that the warranty does not cover.

Given that this is a $30 (US) part to replace, jerry-rigging it isn't a good idea -- get the jack replaced correctly.  There's too big a chance than a $30 replacement part could lead to a fried mainboard - which will turn into a $500+ replacement part.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 1st, 2018 08:00

Please check out the information in link below, hopefully it will be a help to you.

Ownership Transfer | Dell UK

No Events found!