Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Community Manager

• 

377 Posts

July 24th, 2022 03:00

DS 07/24: If given a choice, which switches would you prefer in a mechanical keyboard?

If given a choice, which switches would you prefer in a mechanical keyboard?

For more questions regarding this contest, please visit the Information Page here.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 24th, 2022 09:00

This may not exactly be your question, but here's my opinion on keyboards:

Dell XPS 15 L502x was a perfect keyboard layout.
I dislike the layout of the current XPS laptops.

Having dedicated Home, PgUp, PgDn, and End keys in a column on the right, plus full-size cursor/arrow keys, was a logical and functional arrangement. It's so useful for editing and for navigation in documents, web browsers, etc. XPS 15 L502x, Inspirons and many other Dell models shared the same excellent keyboard layout.

On current Dell laptops the keyboard layout removed the navigation column, placed Home and End keys on the function key row, removed dedicated PgUp and PgDn keys, and shrank the cursor/arrow keys. Those changes make the keyboard much less functional.

Also, IMO it makes no sense to place the power button in the upper-right corner of the keyboard where the Delete key should be. A power button is pressed, not typed, so it should not be part of the keyboard where we can hit it accidentally. And, putting it in the Delete key position means we will often hit it when we want Delete.

I've wanted to buy another XPS for a few years now, but I dislike the current keyboard layout. If there were an option to buy the old keyboard layout, I would pay extra for that.

Keyboard layout - right side showing navigation keys.PNG

No Events found!