Unsolved

P

2 Posts

August 7th, 2022 20:00

Dell Dock WD19, Windows 11, Surround Sound issue

Dell Dock WD19

Dell Dock WD19

Hi all,

Apologies to everyone but I can't find a specific section for Docking Station so I'm posting here in the XPS section with inquiries regarding the Dell WD19 dock while using it with my HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ay0xxx (2020).

So recently I've discovered a very niche problem with the dock while connected to my Sony HT-X9000F soundbar through HDMI pass-through to my monitor. Everything works perfectly with the dock except for 'In Windows Surround sound decoding'. Bitstreaming videos with Dolby or DTS encoded audio formats work seamlessly. Stereo mode also works normally. The problem in hand is the inability of manually configuring any type of surround mode (Quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1 Surround) when connected to the dock by using Settings->System->Sound->More sound settings->Configure. The options can be selected but no sound will be outputted. All software, driver, firmware and bios have been fully updated to the newest version, the dock, the soundbar, AMD driver and also Windows 11 itself.

The original port used was the right most DP port, I've tried changing it to the first DP port and also the HDMI port but to no avail. I've also changed the HDMI and DP cables yet nothing seems to work. The interesting part happens when I connect my Aukey CB-C71 or my Ugreen CM296 USB C hub to the Multi Function USB C port with DisplayPort 1.4 at the back of the dock. By connecting the soundbar to the HDMI port of either hubs when connected to the back USB C port of the dock, I can select any surround sound mode and have audio be outputted successfully. The soundbar will detect the correct format and output the correct audio.

I've tried unplugging, replugging, restarting, and almost every trick of the book and nothing seems to work. This leads me to believe that the problems lies not with Windows or the soundbar but more specifically with Dell WD19's own firmware since connecting the soundbar to the USB C hub while connected to the dock will work as intended.

Therefore the big question is that can anyone suggest a solution or is the only solution a firmware update and if so, where to suggest a firmware fix to Dell.

Kind regards,

Isaiah

2 Posts

August 9th, 2022 04:00

Edit: I should clarify that the soundbar is connected to the dock's HDMI/DP port with a HDMI/DP cable, not a 3.5mm audio cable to the Line Out/Headphone jack.

Edit 2: I decided to downgrade the AMD drivers to the older 22.5.1 version and reran all the previous test. The result came out the same as it would be on the latest version of 22.7.1. I then updated it back to 22.7.1 and the results came out the same. This confirmed to me at least the AMD driver that handles the audio for HDMI passthrough is unchanged.

Edit 3: I also decided to play videos and movies encoded with different audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, etc. The dock also had trouble with bitstreaming encoded audio formats, sometimes the sound will play for a video, while for others no sound will even be outputted. The same issue with bitstreaming persisted even when I connected the soundbar to either USB c hubs connected to the dock Usb c port. Both USB c hubs can function normally when connected directly to the laptop's USB C port.

Edit 4: So both 'In Windows surround sound decoding' and also bitstreaming Dolby and DTS encoded video have issues when using the Dell Dock WD19. I'm pretty sure now the problems have to do with the dock's firmware.

TL;DR : Dell WD19 has issues with surround sound (Bitstreaming, Windows Surround Sound decoding). A solution is very much appreciated, or a way to contact Dell for a firmware fix.

No Events found!