Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

May 16th, 2022 03:00

Dell G5 5500 Windows 11 Fresh Install - no drivers

I have a Dell G5 5500 that I've put a brand new SSD in both slots as NvMe drives in place of the original drive. I have tried a Windows 11 (and tried 10) ISO and when I go to install the Operating system, Windows Installer complains that it can not see any drives to install the OS. 

Where can I get a driver or how can I get Windows Install ISO to see the drives. The drives are using ACHI and are not in RAID (Intel rapid)

I have installed Linux on it with no issues, but I want to install Windows 11 side by side.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 16th, 2022 03:00

You need to pause the install and load the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (see below).

Or, change from IRST to AHCI in setup (F2 at powerup) -- doing this will remove the need for the IRST driver.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/g-series-15-5500-laptop/drivers

May 16th, 2022 04:00

How do I get the driver out of the EXE file. I am on linux (as I can't install Windows) and I don't have access to another machine

The BIOS is already in AHCI mode and not in IRST

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

May 16th, 2022 06:00

It sounds more like you've partitioned the drives for a Linux filesystem -- you will need an empty space or partition on the drive that Windows can access in order to install a dual boot.

May 16th, 2022 07:00

I found the problem.. it was the USB drive causing the issue.. I needed to find a windows machine to use the official Windows ISO creator

No Events found!