Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

7 Posts

February 14th, 2020 09:00

Dell S3 sleep mode - again

I have a Dell XPS9370 4K display + touch screen, which is almost fantastic apart from one thing I absolutely HATE.

That one thing is the lack of S3 sleep mode and Dell buying in to Microsoft's ludicrous "connected standby"

Result of this stupid mode: fast draining battery, endless fan noise, random wake ups, laptop staying warm + other irritations

Starting to think ahead to the day I exchange/upgrade, do any Dell laptops of similar specs have S3 sleep? Have Dell fully committed to no S3? For me it's a deal-breaker and i'll look elsewhere if I can't get proper sleep mode.

Charles

February 17th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for that, but i've seen in a couple of places that this doesn't fix the problem, and may make matters worse.

The real problem is that for reasons unknkown and totally illogical Dell no longer wish to support users who want S3 sleep, and so don't have that support in their BIOS.

I'm perfectly happy to go buy HP, Asus, whatever if they support S3, and I wondered if anyone else was exploring this.

February 18th, 2020 04:00

@Charles_xps13 
Whats up, I just bought a xps 7590 to replace my older xps m1530 and one of the only problems I have with it is the sleep issue your experiencing. Machine is perfect except for it! I searched for a few hours looking to resolve it and came across this post on the forum and the registry edit here completely solved the sleep issue on my machine and I haven't had any issue with it since! Hopefully it works for you, I am using the latest BIOS, 1.5 I think. 

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9570-not-going-to-sleep/td-p/6206588

Hope it helps you!!

February 19th, 2020 00:00

OK thanks for all the replies.

I did try this, and it seems to work in a fashion, but the only way to wake up now is a long press of the power button. A short press (as with my HP laptop) seems to wake something up, but the display remains blank.

With all my previous laptops (HPx3, Toshiba) A long press on the power button is usually associated with a forced power down.

The problem is caused by the Dell BIOS; Dell has totally ignored user requests for S3 sleep support.

I'll just go back to how it was before, and delete Dell from my shopping list.

9 Posts

February 19th, 2020 17:00

> The problem is caused by the Dell BIOS; Dell has totally ignored user requests for S3 sleep support.

I don't think its the BIOS, per se; S3 sleep works perfectly in Linux on my 7390 2-in-1.

489 Posts

February 20th, 2020 12:00

Thing is, Micro$oft believes that Sleep time is too precious for them to let laptops sleep soundly, even if their owners would prefer so. M$ demands all new laptops that support S0 to default to S0, and they don't support switching from S0 to S3 after Windows has been installed (this has been reported to often work via a registry hack, but sometimes fails). Hence, for legit S3 these days, BIOS must deny that S0 is supported, which should be provided as a BIOS option by laptop makers. It is not enough to support S3. Of course, going Linux is an alternative. 

Dell presumably don't like the burden of supporting two sleep modes, for both of which bugs do get reported, and are difficult to diagnose.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 20th, 2020 15:00

@Charles_xps13 wrote:

Dell XPS-9370 

That one thing is the lack of S3 sleep mode and Dell buying in to Microsoft's ludicrous "connected standby"

Not sure if this helps, but on my Alienware Aurora-R6 desktop, I had a similar situation.

In the BIOS:
Disabled - Intel Ready Mode Tech
Enabled - DeepSleep Control in S4 and S5
Enabled - USB Wake Support in S3 (Can now wake from Sleep with Mouse)

In Windows:
- Uninstalled the Intel Ready Mode Technology program.

Machine now Sleeps nicely, but will still wake for Scheduled Windows Events (like Macrium Reflect backups). 

September 29th, 2020 12:00

Were you able to solve this? I'm so frustrated I could throw the bloody DELL from the window(s)! To troubleshoot such idiotic nonsense at the evening, after the whole day of meetings/troubleshootings, it's completely perverse! As I wrote in another thread: this is my last DELL machine. Not having sleep in 2020?!?!?! I will sell this brick and switch to HP really, am googling it right now filled with frustration.

October 13th, 2020 02:00

I also have the same issue.
I want to conserve power, because it's a 6 core 45 watt chip in the 7590.
When you're on battery mode, you want the chip to not boost so high, so I enabled throttlestop to apply the disable turbo, which keeps it to 2.6.(but that's less ideal as it seems to prevent it form under-clocking)
But when I sleep the machine, either by closing the lid, or by pressing the power button, or even 5 minutes standby, it goes into some pseudo-sleep mode, which is not sleep at all, but simply logged out with the screen off.
Dell must enable the option to disable S0 in bios, there's so many other extra bios features in there that other laptops don't include, why not include one that will be truly useful?
If I shut the laptop lid, I want the CPU to be OFF, and the screen OFF, not fans spinning and 90c temps as soon as you lift the lid, what kind of primitive **bleep** is that, anyway?
If microsoft wants to enable a constantly connected spy program, Dell should refuse this because they have a 45 watt chip not a 7 watt snapdragon or whatever it is.
97watt-hour battery is huge, with a little bios tweaking, improved sleep, and an option to adjust turn-on-off turbo, boosting and disable a few cores, should be also inside the Dell software in windows 10.
That way you're engineering your device to actually give a **bleep** about battery life.
Right now, the 6 core 45 watt boosts over 4ghz on battery, with no option to sleep.
Unlike the previous user I'm not going to sell this laptop, but it's just another failure on laptop manufacturers to make a perfect device - which isn't hard, all you have to do is listen to customer complaints and enable the fix, but there's likely too many men in suits without the ability to have the rank in their corporation to pull the trigger, and just a bunch of bald psycho yes men squandering the profits of the corp.

In the meantime I'm going to keep trying to registry edit the thing until I can disable s0 and have s3 by default.
I also experience some freezes for less than 1 second in games, despite the frames being very high.
Who knows how to diagnose such a thing? Very difficult, i'd have to reinstall windows as a first try to fix.

November 3rd, 2020 14:00

HI! Any solutions yet?

I have the same problem with my XPS 7590. But it worked before. Don't know what happened, but it no longer works.

I also tried to set the registry key " \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power" to 0 but no improvement.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2020 01:00

I don't think its the BIOS, per se; S3 sleep works perfectly in Linux on my 7390 2-in-1.

That may be true for the 7390 (as it is for my 9360), but it seems that the brand new 9310 (11th gen Intel) no longer has any S3 support in the BIOS. That is, my Linux kernel does not report it as one of the sleep options. The best I can get is "S2", and that drains a 100% battery in about 14 hours.

1 Message

November 24th, 2020 23:00

Same, xps17 heats up until thermal shutdown in 'sleep' while plugged in, every single time. I've only had this thing for a week and I'm gonna have to return this $3500 laptop because it can't sleep. Windows 20h2 claimed to have a fix that "prevents a device from entering Modern Standby" but I'm running 20h2 and it's still chernobyl. Does dell not test any of these? Does nobody at dell use their own laptops? What's the point of a laptop if you can't take it anywhere?

February 18th, 2021 04:00

I agree with all of you, that DELL should bring out a proper fix for a problem they have created by themselves.

Meanwhile I have gotten my S3 Sleep back with the refind-method mentioned in this thread (from 20h04 and above)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/h0r56s/getting_back_s3_sleep_and_disabling_modern/

good luck to you guys.

1 Message

March 14th, 2021 16:00

I bought a Dell G7 17" three months ago and straight away I noticed that the lap[top would not sleep and if not on charge, drain the battery overnight. I contacted Dell support and over the next few months they got me to try stuff, including a Windows Refresh, and they remotely connected to my laptop, and found no solution. I had Googled the issue and found out about the S0 enabled on my laptop and asked them if that was the issue. They said NO and stated that S3 is only for PCs. I started to use Hypernate to get my laptop to "sleep" however I wanted the issue solved.

Next, Dell decided to replace my motherboard, which I found very odd, and sure enough last Friday a technician arrived, changed the board, and not to my surprise the issue remained. He contacted Dell support in Australia who then asked me to do an OS reload. For some reason, my laptop would not allow me to download the Windows file therefore did a Windows image install. It WORKED, at first. The laptop went to sleep as it should therefore it was decided to slowly allow updates and reload my stuff. All was going well until BOOM, no sleep. Now, trying to determine what has caused this can be difficult but I am sure it was after I Uninstalled the McAfee software which was part of the Windows or Dell's package. Removing the McAfee was one of the first things I did when I first got my laptop.

So this time I did a complete wipe and reload of Windows after downloading it, which didn't include McAfee, and after 3 days now the Sleep function is working well. I've now loaded everything I need including all updates and so far so good. Only two occasions when my laptop would not sleep, first, when I plugged in my power supply while the battery was at 50%. For some reason, it prevented it to sleep until at least 90% charged, maybe needed the fans running to help cool during fast charge or something. Second, connecting my Extreme 3D joystick.

I will monitor and give Dell feedback shortly.

2 Posts

July 18th, 2021 22:00

I completely agree.

We are in the process of returning all of our companies new Dell laptops and switching to a brand that has committed to keeping S3 sleep as a feature. Maybe if enough people do this Dell will finally give an option for S3.

The interim solution I used was to set "Wake on Lid open" in the BIOS and set the lid close action to Hibernate, takes longer to wake up but at least I can continue where I left off when travelling rather than having to shut everything down.

No Events found!