Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell S3 sleep mode - again

I have a Dell XPS9370 4K display + touch screen, which is almost fantastic apart from one thing I absolutely HATE.

That one thing is the lack of S3 sleep mode and Dell buying in to Microsoft's ludicrous "connected standby"

Result of this stupid mode: fast draining battery, endless fan noise, random wake ups, laptop staying warm + other irritations

Starting to think ahead to the day I exchange/upgrade, do any Dell laptops of similar specs have S3 sleep? Have Dell fully committed to no S3? For me it's a deal-breaker and i'll look elsewhere if I can't get proper sleep mode.

Charles

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell S3 sleep mode - again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for that, but i've seen in a couple of places that this doesn't fix the problem, and may make matters worse.

The real problem is that for reasons unknkown and totally illogical Dell no longer wish to support users who want S3 sleep, and so don't have that support in their BIOS.

I'm perfectly happy to go buy HP, Asus, whatever if they support S3, and I wondered if anyone else was exploring this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@Charles_xps13 
Whats up, I just bought a xps 7590 to replace my older xps m1530 and one of the only problems I have with it is the sleep issue your experiencing. Machine is perfect except for it! I searched for a few hours looking to resolve it and came across this post on the forum and the registry edit here completely solved the sleep issue on my machine and I haven't had any issue with it since! Hopefully it works for you, I am using the latest BIOS, 1.5 I think. 

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9570-not-going-to-sleep/td-p/6206588

Hope it helps you!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

OK thanks for all the replies.

I did try this, and it seems to work in a fashion, but the only way to wake up now is a long press of the power button. A short press (as with my HP laptop) seems to wake something up, but the display remains blank.

With all my previous laptops (HPx3, Toshiba) A long press on the power button is usually associated with a forced power down.

The problem is caused by the Dell BIOS; Dell has totally ignored user requests for S3 sleep support.

I'll just go back to how it was before, and delete Dell from my shopping list.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

> The problem is caused by the Dell BIOS; Dell has totally ignored user requests for S3 sleep support.

I don't think its the BIOS, per se; S3 sleep works perfectly in Linux on my 7390 2-in-1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

Thing is, Micro$oft believes that Sleep time is too precious for them to let laptops sleep soundly, even if their owners would prefer so. M$ demands all new laptops that support S0 to default to S0, and they don't support switching from S0 to S3 after Windows has been installed (this has been reported to often work via a registry hack, but sometimes fails). Hence, for legit S3 these days, BIOS must deny that S0 is supported, which should be provided as a BIOS option by laptop makers. It is not enough to support S3. Of course, going Linux is an alternative. 

Dell presumably don't like the burden of supporting two sleep modes, for both of which bugs do get reported, and are difficult to diagnose.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

@Charles_xps13 wrote:

Dell XPS-9370 

That one thing is the lack of S3 sleep mode and Dell buying in to Microsoft's ludicrous "connected standby"

Not sure if this helps, but on my Alienware Aurora-R6 desktop, I had a similar situation.

In the BIOS:
Disabled - Intel Ready Mode Tech
Enabled - DeepSleep Control in S4 and S5
Enabled - USB Wake Support in S3 (Can now wake from Sleep with Mouse)

In Windows:
- Uninstalled the Intel Ready Mode Technology program.

Machine now Sleeps nicely, but will still wake for Scheduled Windows Events (like Macrium Reflect backups). 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos