Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2018 10:00

XPS 13 9365 2-in-1, coil whine

Hi,

I have received my Dell XPS 13 9365 2 in 1 a week ago and I have been hearing this coil whining sounds in the right side of the laptop (sometimes left side). However, when I disconnected it from the power supply the sounds just stopped. I updated the Bios couple days ago, yet the whining persists. This is a well designed notebook laptop that should be noiseless, is anybody else experiencing the same issue? or is it definitely a problem related to the power supply? Thanks. 

Specs:

Dell XPS Dell XPS 13 9365 2 in 1 

256 GB SSD; 16GB Ram; 13,3 QHD display; Intel Core i7 8500Y (8th Gen)

• 

25.1K Posts

January 1st, 2019 09:00

Thanks for getting back to us. There will be some noise from the system in a quiet environment. Its working as designed. Please check for the noise in an office environment and get back to us with audio recordings so that we can have it reviewed with our internal team.

Please run hardware diagnostics by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB on the computer to check for any hardware issue.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (DCFAdmin) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

- Ravi

9.4K Posts

December 31st, 2018 05:00

Hi JBC85,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

How loud is the sound you are hearing?  Can the noise be heard in a normal office type situation or only in a quiet location without conversations or climate control running?

If you are still needing assistance and the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 31st, 2018 12:00

I have that model but with the 7th generation processor.  The only noise I have noticed from mine, which only happened a couple of times was a high pitch screaming, such as a warning alert.

All I might suggest is to keep an eye on the system to see if any performance readouts are consistent with the noise.  Is any part of the bottom warm when the noise occurs?  Does the level of battery charge make any difference?

There have been some systems which seemed to be more prone to such noises.  Some component on the motherboard or possibly even the M.2 drive is involved.  The background lights, if on might make some type of sound.

It is important to see if you can confirm it is or isn't coming from the audio output.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2018 12:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can hear it the whining 3 feet away from the keyboard (right side and sometimes left side) in quiet room environment, I haven't tested it yet in office environment. The whining is sometimes present when unplugged to the power adapter. I am in my second week with this machine and so far it is a fine one, apart of this concern.Is it normal to have this kind of sound in this ultrabook? I am worried of a potential system failure in the long run. 

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 14:00

Week 2 of owing this machine. I have the same problem. Loud coil whine. See attached video. 

Otherwise, this is a sweet machine. Great performance, awesome form factor. I love everything else about it. But the loud coil whine for an almost $2000 laptop is unacceptable. 

No Events found!