Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 00:00

Dell XPS 13 7390 Fan Grinding Noise / No Repair Possible / Refund?

I had my Dell XPS 13 7390 for just 3 months before the fan would start making an insanely annoying grinding sound like an electric razor. Here is a recording of the sound: https://voca.ro/gmotQvG2Pqx

It's gotten worse over the past month, but I'm still unable to get it repaired due to my situation:

The device was purchased in the US, but I now live in Tokyo. When I spoke to US Dell Support, they told me to transfer ownership to Japan, thus transferring the warranty. I did as instructed and contacted Dell Japan. Initially they seemed to process my request for repair, but then I received a phone call stating that because my device was purchased in the US, they wouldn't be able to repair it.

I relayed this information to the email provided in the log of my communication with US Dell Support (the support site now redirects me to international/Japan support because my device is now registered there), but have been ignored for over a week.

Am I just screwed because Dell Japan can't service a Dell product purchased outside of the country? I use the laptop all day for work during the current global pandemic, and the noise is driving me absolutely insane, not to mention the potential for continued damage. I am beyond frustrated with the noise and the runaround I'm getting from support. I expect at least the bare minimum of service for a faulty device at this price. If I'm unable to have the device repaired, at the very least I'd like some way to obtain a refund.

Is there any way someone can help me with this situation?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

April 24th, 2020 03:00

No, you won't receive a refund on a 3-month old system.

If the system has an onsite service plan, AND is sold in Japan, you should be able to have the repair done in Japan.  If the system came with just a basic 12-month return for repair warranty - or isn't sold in Japan - then it would need to be returned to the U.S. for repair.  

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 05:00

That's my entire problem. Dell Japan says they're unable to repair it and to contact Dell US instead. Dell US says Dell Japan should be able to service it with my warranty.

Anyway, I've had support reach out to me so hopefully we can find a solution.

No Events found!